PDA

View Full Version : Separating mixed bed Di resins

Aquattro
05-12-2002, 05:58 PM
This article describes separation and recharging.

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/g_deutschmann_instruct.html

JoJo
05-13-2002, 12:02 AM
Thanks!! Brad

Aquattro
05-13-2002, 12:59 AM
You're welcome. When the document says do this in a well ventilated area, it mean it. Other than that, it's fairly simple to do.

JoJo
05-13-2002, 01:10 AM
Hey Brad,

The chemicals needed for the recharge process, are they readily available?Where do I get them?
Have you ever done a recharge? I read the article and found the separation of the resins rather confusing. Any suggestions??

Thanks!!!

Aquattro
05-13-2002, 01:57 AM
Danny, the chemicals are available easily. It looks like I gave you a link to the long article. Here is one for an edited version.
http://www.reefs.org/library/article/twp_recharge.html

Lye can be found at Safeway or Save On Foods. Muriatic acid is from Crappy Tire.

JoJo
05-13-2002, 02:05 AM
Thanks Brad!

I came across this US company Spectra Pure (http://www.spectrapure.com/index.htm) They sell bulk DI resins in both mixed as well as separated forms. I am going to see whether they will ship to Canada. Besides resins, they also sell complete water purification systems. Check it out!!

Aquattro
05-13-2002, 02:11 AM
Ya, but I like messin' with chemicals. And it costs me about $2 to recharge 3 TWP cases.

JoJo
05-13-2002, 02:41 AM
Brad,

I just got a used TWP from Christy. Once I have enough spent cartridges, I plan to separate the resins,"lol" I planned to take several emptied cartridges and modify them into a 3 column TWP (carbon,cation,anion). Is this possible or do I have buy 2 additional base units. My plan is to fill 1 cartridge, fill with carbon and install it to the base unit. Take 2 emptied ones , cap them at each end and install i/p and o/p fittings , fill 1 with cation the other with anion and run them daisey chain to the o/p of the base unit "carbon". Will this work? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Aquattro
05-13-2002, 03:59 AM
Danny, having separate chambers is actually better than mixing them. Mixed beds can neutralize each other at the point of contact. All you need is to insert some compression fittings thru the screw-on caps and daisy chain them. Works really well.

JoJo
05-13-2002, 04:04 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know of links to instructions for separating resins from a mixed bed DI cartridge??

Thanks!!!

JoJo
05-13-2002, 04:16 AM
Thanks Brad,

If I can get some separate resins from Spectra Pure , even better. If the cost is about the same as buying a couple new Twp MB cartridges, it will save me the time from having to separate them myself. I'll just take a couple of sections of pvc pipe and fabricate some cylinders for the different resins. Thanks for you advice!!!

JoJo
05-14-2002, 02:21 AM
original post

"Lye can be found at Safeway or Save On Foods. Muriatic acid is from Crappy Tire" <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Brad, under what section would I find the Lye at safeway or save on foods???

JoJo
05-15-2002, 12:15 AM
original post

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lye can be found at Safeway or Save On Foods. Muriatic acid is from Crappy Tire"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Brad, under what section would I find the Lye at safeway or save on foods???

Aquattro
05-15-2002, 02:27 AM
It's either in the cleaning or laundry section. I'll post the brand name for you tonight.

JoJo
05-16-2002, 01:52 AM
Hi Brad,

Did you manage to get the brand name of the lye I should buy for recharging?? Thanks!!!

Aquattro
05-16-2002, 02:00 AM
Sorry, fell asleep and forgot. Now that I'm actually looking for it, I can't find the container. Maybe 'cause I just moved. I'll check tomorrow when I get dinner. Until then, it's in a small white plastic container with red writing on it.

JoJo
05-16-2002, 02:01 AM
Thank you!!!!!