PDA

View Full Version : noobie question

fishykisses
10-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Ok, here's the setup - 25G long, running a H.O.T. Magnum filter (Really Powerful) and a powerhead for current. So i just got a skimmer today...Do i run the filter, skimmer AND the powerhead?

Invigor
10-03-2005, 12:39 AM
if you want to you can.

fishykisses
10-03-2005, 12:44 AM
but i don't have to? it will be enough current without the powerhead?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-03-2005, 12:44 AM
What are you using the HOT filter for? I usually use it as a micron filter or as a Chemi-Pure filter. If you think you have enough current, then I would skip the powerhead. It really depends on what your tank will hold, ie. what type & how many fish & what types of corals (if any). SPS love current, especially if its from more than one source, so the different streams swirl & mix. Certain LPS & softies don't like a lot of current but if you're mainly having a fish tank, then I found most of my fish like a lot of current (if they're active swimmers). If they're not active swimmers, then again you might have too much current for weak swimmers.

HTH,

Anthony

Murminator
10-03-2005, 04:48 AM
I run a prizim skimmer, AC500, 802 and a 404....on a 29g........I make the fish swim for their food :razz:

reeferaddict
10-03-2005, 08:33 AM
How much current totally depends on what you plan to keep... so start there. In nature the water moves in tidal cycles, wind currents, and thermal currents creating an endless amount of strength and variety of directions of flow. Corals and fish alike need these be replicated as much as possible in the home systems... first three important things to keeping a reef... LIGHT, FILTRATION, and WATER MOVEMENT. Read up on some of the species you want to keep and determine how much flow you'll need. IMO 2 Maxijet 900's on a wavemaker and the skimmer should give you decent flow in that size of a tank. Marine fish in particular are used to fighting currents constantly in search of food, just make sure you have some rock they can swin through and under so they can escape the currents when they want to.

I thought I'd give my 2 bits but now with inflation it's 4...