PDA

View Full Version : Noisy MH Ballast.

reefburnaby
05-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Hi,

What's the model number of the ballast ?

- Victor.

Coffeeman
05-07-2002, 02:12 AM
Its Advance Ballast #71A55A0.I just got a reply from Advance and all the guy said was "Yes, it does male noisy."I guess I bought a comercial ballast, that must be why Aquarium ones cost 5 times as much.

Coffeeman
05-07-2002, 04:34 AM
I just bought a magnetic MH ballast kit from a local lighting store.I had a friend help me wire it up, the problem is its really noisy.I've heard ballasts humming before but nothing like this, after the bulb warms up it quiets a little but its still far too loud.I was wondering if anyone else had any idea's on why its making such a noise.Its made by Advance ballast and its brand new.

Delphinus
05-07-2002, 11:17 AM
Exactly how loud is the hum? All mine have that electrical hum, but since I keep my ballasts hidden in back rooms I never hear the ballasts.

It's a moot point though, I can't even hear myself think with the stupid hood fans going some days.... well that's not entirely true but the fans are disappointingly loud. I'm going to try some different ones in the new tank and keep these ones I have as a sort of backup. Effective, but not elegant, I guess.

Coffeeman
05-07-2002, 11:58 AM
I might be able to live with the hum but my wife can't.I'm going to lengthen the cords and put it outside.

CHEAPREEF
05-07-2002, 12:22 PM
I had the same problem when i first got my ballast. It was a comercial one as well. I took the casing apart and siliconed the hell out of it. Way better, my GF said she could live with it after that. Just another opion before you go cutting hole in walls ect..

Clinton