PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water Reef Tanks??

fakename
09-30-2005, 03:00 AM
Does anyone here run a cold water reef tank with local stock?? I keep hearing that there's great local diving on these artificial reefs, and was wondering if anyone had transfered the concept to an aquarium??
Cheers,
Aaron

StirCrazy
09-30-2005, 03:51 AM
hey, do a search on the board on cold water tanks and you should find a few threads with lots of good points and bad points about them. personaly I feel they would be a lot more money to set up and run than a tropical tank but yes your animals would be cheeper.

Steve

Diana
09-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Its just the chiller situation. I setup a 'tidepool' tank successfully this summer but it crashed when I added too much biomass at once. Its running again, but i havent had a chance to get much stuff for it.

I had little anenomies, a starfish, crabs, hermit crabs, seaweed, barnicles, and mussels. It was pretty neat!

When i have enough money for a chiller I will definately get one... and then you need to worry about the condensation on the glass.

-Diana

Griffin
09-30-2005, 07:23 PM
i have been wanting to set one up for over a year -i'm set - i have a tru-vue 65gal tank - insulated sump - skimmer etc, labratory drop in chiller that goes to -25, proper fishing lic, scuba tanks and regs rebuilt and the drysuit is ready to go but the only thing lacking is time. Our colours are awesome and lighting doesn't have to include MH due only because our sunlight penatration is poor due to low water clarity. I will set it up but probibly not till after x-mas but i do promise to have pics and postings on the project.
A grunt sculpin is defenitly on the list along with plumous anemones, sea pen, basket star, nudibranchs, goose neck barnicals, anemones, soft corals, sponges, hermits, snails, shrimp even our zoo's are nice. Problem is i have seen so many cool things in our ocean that you want them all but have to remember not everything will play nice together so more research is needed.

Cheers
Rich

fakename
10-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Anyone who is thinking about setting up a cold water reef tank might want to check out this page to see some of the beautiful tidal zone animals that we have here in BC!!
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/kerryw/
I am not sure if I will ever set up a tank like this, but I sure do enjoy looking for all these creatures down by the water!!!

As a poll: Where is everyone's favorite place to go look in tide pools??
I just moved here so the only spots I have been are around creseant beach and stanley park....