PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing Xenia not .. pulsing ?

OCDP
09-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Hello all,

This may be a dumb question but the past couple days I have noticed my frag of pulsing xenia is no longer pulsing.. I bought the frag Friday and it was pulsing soon after being put in the tank.

I am just curious as to why this happens? Does this mean there is something wrong in the tank? ... the xenia is still open and does not look unhealthy, just not pulsing :confused:

Also, it seems that it is often closed up... but nonetheless still looks healthy otherwise.. and I am pretty sure I am seeing new heads growing on it as well.

Thanks,
Scott

Murminator
09-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Mine never pulsed for the 1st 3 months I had it, so I think it is fine :cool:

OCDP
09-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Weird... I am going to try and re-position it.. I did a search on RC and lack of nutrients may play a role in the pulsing (not catching any organics in the water) also, high flow will give you lack of pulsing , and apparantley they appreciate a higher light (I thought the opposite) so I'll try and stick it in a higher light/lower flow area and see what happens..

albert_dao
09-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Actually, no one really knows why xenia pulses.

I couldn't even get that stuff to pulse UNTIL the tank cycled and went low nutrient.

BT05
09-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Try a low flow area and I mean *really* low flow. If you have a smaller tank, then try deflecting some of the current away from the xenia using smaller pieces of live rock.

I remember moving my xenia frag to a moderate flow location and it closed up and stopped pulsing like yours did. Then I moved it back to a calmer part of the tank and it pulsed again until late at night. Whether your xenia pulses or not shouldn't be such a big deal right now, it's more important that it opens up regularly.

psuedo
09-29-2005, 12:17 AM
My xenia used to pulse all the time, then I introduced anthelia and the xenia all died off gradually.

Do you have anthelia in your tank? Maybe that is a reason why your xenia is not pulsing