PDA

View Full Version : Diamond dremel bits for drilling tanks?

LostMind
09-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Where to buy these and has anyone here used a dremel to drill a tank?

I wanna setup a small 16 gal tank... the glass is pretty thin so I figured I could use the dremel on it...

Any advice?

Invigor
09-28-2005, 12:14 AM
I bought a set from canadian tire, i've bought their mastercraft brand and I've bought dremel brand. the dremel brand bit broke within a few seconds, which really sucked because I had to get a different sized chuck for it. the motormaster ones were -OK- and got the job done, but wore out after two holes. I guess if that's all you need, that'd be fine.

I've been pondering on getting the set from lee valley tools: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=31021&cat=1,130,43409,43425

the mastercraft worked for me. It was a 6pack for $26.99. I used them for drilling 2 10gal tanks. for the hassle of it, i'll bring my next project to a glass shop for them to do...cost less in the end of buying bit after bit. :confused:

oh, advice! be patient with the bit and use LOTS of water at mid-high speeds. I used flexible airline tubing syphoning from an 11L jug, tied a knot in it to reduce it to a small trickle and taped it to my dremel right by the bit.

LostMind
09-28-2005, 12:31 AM
hmmm, sounds like a bit of a pain and pricey too...

maybe I should look on Ebay for drill bits...

bleh!

Thanks though.