PDA

View Full Version : Kalk stirrer online tonight

DJ88
03-28-2002, 12:29 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/DIY/kalk.jpg

StirCrazy
03-28-2002, 01:06 AM
ok cool, hehe but I need to bug you for info again.. why both a cal and a kalk? is there something one will give you that the other wont?

Steve

DJ88
03-28-2002, 01:20 AM
In some circles people think that the kalk works in phosphate removal from your tank by bonding to it and being removed by the protein skimmer. I am not 100% convinced but when I was running the kalk stirrer before I didn't have the bryopsis problem.

I have run the two together before and want to see if there is any difference from when I was running Ca Rx alone to the two again. I am looking for coral growth and less algae.

StirCrazy
03-28-2002, 01:44 AM
ok cool, I look forward to the results on that one..

Steve

titus
03-28-2002, 01:47 AM
Hello,

Yes Kalk addition does help to precipitate phosphate. Some also think that Kalk can help balance the low pH of ca reactor effluent. However, I only agree on the precipitation part.

stephane
03-28-2002, 02:43 AM
this is mine (the grey tube in the midle)

I have it for 2 years now and it work great
no other calcium needed

if someone interested in the plan for it I have them all http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1941

Eddy Haskel
04-29-2002, 06:38 AM
DJ88, i've seen other stuff you made. You really have an talent for making toys.
Didn't you have a square Nilsen. Or am i mistaken. i liked that one, it looked very unconventional.

Bryan
04-29-2002, 11:13 AM
Darren:

Do you have a local source for the large o-rings you use in your DIY projects.

Troy F
04-29-2002, 12:22 PM
Titus, why do you say it wouldn't also balance the low pH of a Ca Reactor? Or are you just saying you wouldn't use one for this purpose?

titus
04-29-2002, 01:51 PM
Hello Troy,

CA Reactor's effluent pH 6.0 - 6.7
Kalk solution pH 12

DJ88
04-29-2002, 01:53 PM
Eddy,

The square one isn't mine. Tho I have thought about making one. smile.gif Looks easy to do. :D

Thanks for the compliment. Ilike my little projects. smile.gif

Bryan,

Locally no. I bought these ones in Victoria. I had a few laing around. Otherwise I prefer to use neoprene actually. Seems to work better.

Titus,

When I have both a Kalk and Ca reactor on my pH is more stable. If not I get more of a swing at night with only the Ca reactor and it sits lower.

IME tho.

reefburnaby
04-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Hi,

I, too, use both kalk and calcium reactor. However, I don't have a kalkreactor. I just add a little bit of kalk to my top off (1/2 tblspoon per 5 gallons). It brings the pH high enough for the phosphates to precipitate and I allow the precipitate to settle before dripping the clear liquid in to the tank. It helps control phosphates and other nasties in my tank, but I don't add so much kalk that it disturbs the Ca/alk balance in my tank.

- Victor.