PDA

View Full Version : Coralife super skimmers.....are a pain

rudy
09-27-2005, 02:06 PM
These things are a pain. It will be working fine for a couple of days and then I will wake up in the morning to find water spitting out of the top of the collection cup because it is so full of water.

Can somebody enlighten me on what causes this?

I have two of them and both do this.

I am seriously ready to get new ones. What are the red sea prizm pros like?

christyf5
09-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Moved to Reef forum

Petcrazy
09-27-2005, 03:29 PM
How long have you left it running for? They can be difficult the first week or so...but they are supposed to come around.

JSTR
09-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Seems you have to find the sweet spot.
once I get mine dialed in it works great even pulls more crap than my remora. If you need give me a shout and we can try to get yours working.

Paul

reeferaddict
09-27-2005, 07:54 PM
That sure is a vague question. So many things can cause a skimmer to suddenly overproduce such as feeding, dead animals, etc... The water level from where your pump is running can also make it difficult to tweak... Give us a little more info...

Are you running it as HOB or in sump?

Which model?

How big is the tank and what kind of livestock do you have?

How much, and what are you feeding?

That info will make it easier to help. :mrgreen:

waltermus
09-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi! I have super skimmer too and i also have the same problem.. (i've had floods in my apt and its a pain..) From my experience, the collection cup only overflows because of the level of water the pump is in. the further down the pump is from the surface of the water, the higer the level in the skimmer (and this is normally when it overflows :rolleyes: ). I usually try to keep the pump about an inch under the surface. are you using it as HOB? or in sump? if you go to coralife's website, there's a forum for the super skimmer where u can find the proper water level and etc. there's also a big thread on reef central. is the red knob also leaking on your unit? I think it's a good skimmer, it's just finicky. hope it helps.. :biggrin:

wally

fatpuffer
09-27-2005, 10:10 PM
for mine, i just needed to have the microbubbles just a quarter an inch inside the cone. If too high, it would leak at the knob.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/fatpuffer/DSCN16090001Skim1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/fatpuffer/DSCN16100001Skim2.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/fatpuffer/DSCN16110001Skim3.jpg

js

Manny
09-28-2005, 07:08 AM
mine works great. i have the 220 model and it is in a sump. the wter in the sump comes up to about an inch under the rim of the main rection chaimber. i cut the tube between the pump and the main chaimber about half its original length and i have the bubbles in the reaction chamber go just under the collection cup. i hope this helps.

reeferaddict
09-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Get a Bullet.... you'll never look back.... :mrgreen: I could have bought 2 for what I paid for in cheap skimmers.... :eek:

albert_dao
09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I've never had a problem with them and I'm running four of them right now.

outtafocus
09-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Mines is currently in the hands of Coralife. They requested I send it back, and they will be sending out a new unit.
Mine had a very loose red adjustment knob and this caused it to **** out a steady stream of water.

I would never trust them to hang on without leaking.

I will let you all know when the new arrives.