PDA

View Full Version : x10 problem?

StirCrazy
03-18-2002, 02:46 AM
Ok I went out today and bought a X10 controler and 2 apliance moduals. all togeather 81.92 including tax (worked out to the same price as 2 electronic timers) now the problem is one turns back on 20 seconds after you turn it off. anyone else seen a problem like this or could it be that I just got a faulty part?

Steve

DJ88
03-18-2002, 02:48 AM
What are you trying to control? If it is electronic ballasts they are known to put enough noise into the wall that they disrupt x10.

StirCrazy
03-18-2002, 03:03 AM
Ok I checked into it Darren and you are kinda right. but it is not because of a electronic ballast (it is any non incadesent ballast)also not for the reasone we thought.
the problem isn't because the ballasts are noisy but because some ballast alow a trickel of power throught the system which will actavate the local controle inside the X-10 mod and return on the light. (this is why one of my ballast has a problem and the other doesent. there are two fixes for this.. one is to put a little night light with a power adapter into the mod plug with the light you are trying to run (this will use up any trickel voltage and preventit from actavating the local control.
the other option is to cut it open and cut the wire for the local control if you don't need it.

Steve

[ 18 March 2002, 17:04: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

StirCrazy
03-18-2002, 09:04 PM
I will play some more with this tonight to see if the nightlight fixes the problem ..

Steve

StirCrazy
03-19-2002, 12:04 AM
ok it works now.. all it took was a $2.59 night light, and a $4.10 multi plug adapter. I guess the night light eats up the feedback voltage caused when the ballast shuts off preventing it from trigering the local control.

Steve

StirCrazy
03-19-2002, 02:54 AM
here is a pic so you can beter visualize what it took to fix this.
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/modulefix.jpg

Steve

djbh
04-11-2002, 03:15 PM
steve
are you running a controller for the x10 or off of your PC.
Am looking for the PC interface to run x10 on my computer.Did you get all at radio-shack
Dan

StirCrazy
04-11-2002, 09:20 PM
no I got a seperat on.. I got the parts from radio shack but aparently they don't carry the computer controler anymore.. I am thinkingof ordering one for the US though.. haven't decided if I need it as of yet so I am not in a hury to get it.

Steve

djbh
04-17-2002, 08:03 PM
I recieved the pc interface along with the firecracker kit today.
Works like a charm.Ordered on x10.com in the US but the unit was shipped from Toronto.No duty charges,but had to pay in US $.The x10 modules are running off a moonlight simulator.
Dan