PDA

View Full Version : Shipping corals and/or fish for 24 hours.

trilinearmipmap
09-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I am going to Vancouver soon, I have an 8 AM flight back home. Previously I have brought back fish and corals with me, buying the fish at 12 noon and getting home 6 or 8 hours later. However with a morning flight I would have to buy them the day before.

This means buy the fish at 3 PM and it doesnt' get into my tank until the next morning at 11:00 AM or so.

Wondering how well this will go or if I should skip it.

bluetang
09-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Shouldn't be a problem, You need to remember these fish and corals come from around the world and sit on runways and in warehouses for a few days before they get to the LFS.
IF it is cold get one of those hotshot hand warmers and stick it in the cooler or the box it is shipped in. Just make sure you tape it to the top of the box and that it doesnt lay directly on a bag of water and warm it up too much.

christyf5
09-26-2005, 08:26 PM
I've bought stuff in Vancouver and kept it with me over night until I get home the next day with no problems, just keep it in a warm room and then heatpacks for the flight :biggrin:

Delphinus
09-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Personally if it was me I'd skip it. But these animals usually have to live through at least that long if not longer when they're first imported ... so theoretically if packed right they should be able to handle it. But the store would probably have to set you up with heat packs, good O2 in the bag, styrofoam containers... etc. It almost might be better to just order the animals via mail-order anyhow. I dunno like I said if it was me I'd skip it. When I travel I sometimes get tempted on some things that I cannot get locally too but if the transit time is >6-8 hours or overnight, then I figure it's not worth the hassle. Already you're tired when you get home, and so on, and the first thing you'll have to do is start acclimating.

I guess I should say "it depends". If it was corals I wouldn't sweat the extra time. But fish .. that's where I'd be like... hummm maybe not. But your mileage may vary...

OceanAquatics
09-26-2005, 11:08 PM
As Rob and Christy said it's no a big deal they've travelled through worse and longer.
We ship all over Canada all the time.
The main thing is keep the temperature stable.
When you buy them, tell them to bag for an extended period.
Your trip isn't even 24 hours.
If the fish are very large, or delicate take extra precautions. If you have a small air pump you can bring with you to areate them during the night that will be helpful.
Also make sure they haven't just eaten a large meal just before you bag them as they may foul their bag quickly.
Good Luck

Delphinus
09-27-2005, 12:00 AM
If the fish are very large, or delicate take extra precautions. If you have a small air pump you can bring with you to areate them during the night that will be helpful.
Also make sure they haven't just eaten a large meal just before you bag them as they may foul their bag quickly.
Good Luck

Yah ... I guess that's easier than just mail-ordering the fish directly. :razz:

Well I dunno... like I said... that's what I'd do. If mail-order wasn't an option then I guess I'd have to look at other options but if it was a choice between a trip where I can make the purchase and be home on the same day, versus where I have to make the purchase on a DIFFERENT day than the travel day, I'd choose "door #1."

Like has been mentioned many times, these animals suffer longer travel times on their first trip into North America anyhow. BUT .... that's not to say that if they survive it once, they'll survive it again and again thereafter. There is some risk, never will be zero risk.

My $0.02..

OceanAquatics
09-27-2005, 02:08 AM
I agree Tony,
The less stress the better.

marie
09-27-2005, 02:48 AM
most of the animals in my tanks took 24hrs to get there. The only problem I've ever had, were some snails that missed a few buses and arrived cold

Ruth
09-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Sometimes geographic location leaves us with no choice but to ship livestock as I have had to do for all of mine. Even when I do order from Vancouver I believe that they take it to the airport the day before the flight. I have not had too many problems it just means a longer acclimation. If I had my druthers I would not put livestock through this but unfortunately if I want a saltwater aquarium I have no choice. Even if I drove to pick it up it is a 15 hr drive from Vancouver and a 9 hour drive from Edmonton.
Bottom line - I think you will be fine as long as they package it properly for you.

trilinearmipmap
09-27-2005, 04:56 AM
OK thanks for all the advice, I will see how things play out.

soriano
10-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Are you allowed to carry the fish with you as carry on?
(in a styrofoam container)

or does it actually have to be stored underneath...?

(I've got this image of 'What about Bob')

But seriously, can you bring them on as carry on?

trilinearmipmap
10-04-2005, 01:39 AM
I have brought back fish and corals many times as a carry-on.

The rules say you have to have it in a leak-proof plastic container.

But I have had no problems bringing the fish in their plastic bags as carry-on.