PDA

View Full Version : PURCHASING FISH in Lower Mainland of Vancouver

afreshoutlook
09-26-2005, 03:43 AM
I am looking to start purchasing some fish for my 72 gal. Where have you found the best quality fish caught legally that you have been extremely happy with ??
It's getting more exciting :biggrin: :biggrin:
Thanks
Dwight

Griffin
09-26-2005, 05:20 AM
pm sent for political reasons :lol: :lol: :lol:

vanreefer
09-26-2005, 06:35 AM
Bump... I'm also interested in peoples experiences

Aquattro
09-26-2005, 06:39 AM
pm sent for political reasons :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks Rich!!

Aquattro
09-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Bump... I'm also interested in peoples experiences

Searching the board will give you plenty, but pretty much every store in town has it's fans and detractors. Visit them all, decide which YOU like the best for service, price and selection.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Dwight,

What species are you looking for? Reef-safe or Fowlr?

Anthony

Van down by the river
09-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Hello Dwight,
I'm going to use your post to make a few points, hope you don't mind.

All saltwater aquarium fish are caught legally.
Psssst........(opens black trenchcoat filled with plastic bags)hey I've got
3 yellow tangs, 2 angels, and a puffer. wanna buy?
( I couldn't resist sharing my mental image)

If you are referring to drug free fish and cyanide use, no store ANYWHERE can guarantee their fish are ALL ethically and net caught.
Some export regions are better than others, and some species less prone to drug techniques for capture. If you want more info
http://www.aquariumcouncil.org

Unfortunately, there are NO MAC certified retail stores in Western Canada.
They can buy MAC certified fish, but they are not MAC certified.

I'd also recommend you Google MAC certification so you can see both sides of the story. Prepare for LOTS of reading this is a HUGE debate.

I think the ideal that MAC Certification presents is what we all want (including wholesalers/Exporters/Stores), but what they have actually done in the industry falls short.
If they could actually deliver on their promises, then I believe more Retail stores, Wholesalers, and exporters would sign up.

Beyond drug use, livestock handling is also very important for ensuring a healthy arrival of fish to your local store. As has been said many many times before.
1 - Educate Yourself -do you actually have the resources, knowledge and equipment to care for the desired animal. Too many times people display terrible husbandry skills and blame their livestock deaths on "cyanide" or the fish store. If it dies in your tank.....It's your fault period. Take responsibility and learn from your actions.

2- Vote with your $$$$ If you continue to buy from stores that don't take care of their animals properly, you are casting a vote that says yes it's okay to mistreat them. If your argument is that the fish was cheaper there. Then you are part of the problem. Your vote says I want low prices and I don't care about quality.

3- Communicate
Voice your opinion. Tell your local store what you want. They will listen if you approach them in a respectable manner, and back up your opinion with purchases.

People say they want a store that has knowledgeable staff, clean tanks with healthy fish/corals and inverts and fair prices.

What they say with their money is they want the cheapest price no matter the quality service or animal quality/care.

Consumer pressure forces stores to continually cut prices to meet market demands. It has to be cut from somewhere. Knowledgeable staff, Livestock care, product selection, quarantine, and store displays.

Ever thought that lower fish prices means quicker turnover, which means less risk to the store? The sooner they get it into your tank the better. If it dies there you buy another one.

Anyways sorry to Highjack Dwight, the point is you can find good and bad fish at all stores. Even the best store can get poor quality/damaged/stressed fish, it's how they care for them after that, that makes the difference. Hope you find the items you are looking for.

Xtasia
09-27-2005, 12:04 AM

:cry: That's not a puffer.

Diana
09-27-2005, 08:57 PM

HAHA, did you see on the news a while ago that a woman was arrested trying to carry bags of fish under her skirt onto a plane... illegally? :lol: Just reminded me...

More on the subject though, I would gladly pay more money for an MAC certified fish, or something along those lines, or even a tank-raised specimen. However, oddly enough, tank-raised fish usually go for cheaper than wild caught, but are hardier in the aquarium.

Its true, some of the best stores in terms of caring for thier fish are the most expensive. You can judge a book by the cover either, just because a store has put a lot of money into displaying the fish doesnt mean it takes good care of them. But, you must also remember salt water fish are extremely difficult to ship and keep alive, compared to a lot of freshwater species, so the mortality rate is higher no matter what.

Its one of those things that is going to be a long time coming, it will take years to ban cyanide fishing, and after that years to enforce it. Right now, it seems almost impossible.

Lets just say I prefer certian stores in the lower mainland over others, but right now there is hardly anywhere that I wont shop.

-Diana