PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Forces?

Funky_Fish14
09-26-2005, 01:53 AM
Hello there everyone,

I think there are a few on this site that are part of the Canadian Forces? I am wondering what its like to be a member of the Regualar Forces(not the Reserves)? I am just looking for any insight into the experience of being a member.

Thank-you very much!

Cheers! :mrgreen:

Chris

TommDool
09-26-2005, 04:52 AM
Hello there everyone,

I think there are a few on this site that are part of the Canadian Forces? I am wondering what its like to be a member of the Regualar Forces(not the Reserves)? I am just looking for any insight into the experience of being a member.

Thank-you very much!

Cheers! :mrgreen:

Chris

Here's a free hint. Get a trade. That way when you leave you will be trained for a good job in Civi world. If you can go to Officer training and get a degree. Trust me you will be happer in the long run. IF you are going army and in a combat arms, be ready for a good run everyday. If your just in the infantry and are not on a track or other machinery you will sit around lots and given lots of make work projects. Unless your lucky and are on a course. But when its time to play you will be required to play hard.

I spent 10 years in the army, from Infantry soilder to Officer to Operations Officer. sometimes it hard to get what you want right away so lots of people start with infantry. If your luck you can remuster later to a better job. If they offer you a remuster during your basic training take it. anything is better then Infantry and you may not get a second chance for some time. If you stay in the infantry and do not get burned out in your first three years and extend your contract it may still take years until they let you move on to a new occupation. The infantry has a hard time retaining and they don't like to give up good people to easily. Don't always trust the recruiter, they say one thing while your CO will TELL you another.

If you get a good trade then its just like any other 9-5 job, with long training weeks throwen in once in awhile.

Hope that helps

kuatto
09-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I second the trade thing.if you are thinking on going reg force,look into a trade that will be usefull if and when you get out.Been in for almost 17 years and have seen alot of the world,been fun.

StirCrazy
09-27-2005, 02:27 AM
yup get a trade. if you want to travel, not run, and sleep in your own bed everynight join the Navy :mrgreen: some times we even let the army guys on to use our showers and drink at our bar :mrgreen:

Steve

TommDool
09-27-2005, 06:12 AM
yup get a trade. if you want to travel, not run, and sleep in your own bed everynight join the Navy :mrgreen: some times we even let the army guys on to use our showers and drink at our bar :mrgreen:

Steve

I would agree. Being around a bit with the army, I would probley say for newbies that navy is were its at. They are very.... how we say it.....Oh ya Lazy.... lol just kidding to all the Navy guys & Gals. No the Navy has a lot of good jobs, if you don't mind leaving lots. If your a family guy then I would think twice. Not to say the Army hasn't been around lately. It seems that we we just in Bosnia, then a few years we end up in Kosovo, and Afgan the next day. Then they have every engineer and Pioneer out around the world clean up everyones messy mind fields.

The airforce now thats a joke unless your the top 1% from RMC and are a pilot or flight engineer, I hope you like sitting at a desk sharpening pencils. Just remember all the cool Search and Rescue guys came from the Infantry and Jump companies.