PDA

View Full Version : New tank, Reeflo's and OM 4 ways, DSB

mark
09-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Seen an other post talking OM's and Reeflo's but didn't want to hijack.

Looking for comments and some questions on my plan for my new system (145g (69.5x20x24"H) wall divider, with 75g sump and 33 ref in basement). With it, planning on SPS and possibly some clams in the future.

Tank will have overflows either side, one drilled 2-2" for sump drain and CL intake (OF tower drilled) other will have 1-2" (sump drain) and 1-11/2" (sump return).

CL is 2" intake to Reeflo Dart, OM 4 way (ver2), to 4-1" bulkheads drilled in each corner on bottom just in front of the overflows.

From the overflows, 1-2" direct to skimmer compartment (ASM G3), second 2" will tee to ref (flow controlled with gate valve) and sump. Return to tank via March 6 series pump (should be good for 1800gph).

Have my current 75g mainly FOWLR running a 4-5" DSB with 0 nitrates for about 3 years. Like to stay with a DSB on the new system but rather it remote and just 1/2-1" sand in the display. Wondering how much surface area I would need in a remote DSB to support the system?

Believe I've got a good a plan for tank, bulkheads and flow but still also need to sort out lighting. Ideally a Aqua Light Pro 72" retro kit but length is 71" and my total tank length is 69.5". Needing suggests here.

Photo is a picture from the show home but shows where I'll be putting the tank (behind the loveseat) in my place.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/398Show_15_-med.JPG

Joe Reefer
09-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Thats going to be a sweet tank. :mrgreen:

One comment though, If your planning mainly sps/clams, I would probably go with 250w lights.

Manny
09-25-2005, 11:42 PM
i agree with lyohemas, it is going to be a sweet tank, but if you are going to have sps and clams you will need at least 250 watt metal halyde lighting.

mr_alberta
09-26-2005, 12:01 AM
It should be sweet!

Are you looking for an OM 4-way? I should have one for sale in a little bit...

Isn't 2" plumbing a big pain in the butt? :lol: You may find your overflow boxes will be huge to accomodate the 2" plumbing and the 1.5" plumbing, especially with only 20" depth to work on. The boxes should take up a good chunk of each side.

reeferaddict
09-26-2005, 12:55 AM
24" depth will need 250's I would guess.... sounds sweet though.... keep us posted! :biggrin:

BMW Rider
09-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I just upgraded my closed loop on my 130 to a Dolphin Ampmaster 2100 with a version 4 OM 4 way. What a difference in water movement now, no more dead spots. You'll be happy with that setup. I was fortunate to all ready have a 2" bulkhead in my tank for the inlet side. I just had to do the four 1" returns, one to each corner of the tank. No bulkheads there though, just overhead drops into the tank. Looks like your going to have a real showpiece of a tank.

mark
09-26-2005, 01:55 AM
Newguy, been going back and forth with OM trying to get a better price and haven't ordered it. When will you have yours available as I'm interested?

Have been wanting to do something like this for a while. It's great I'm getting the opportunity.

Finally came close to actually having the tank last Tuesday. When I went to pick it up, noticed it was made from float and had requested Starfire. It still looked great and I felt like an a$$ saying I didn't want it but... Promised a new tank will be made and delivered this coming Friday.

Knew the overflows would be big (ended up ~12x5) but went with the 2" and basement sump as wanting to try to keep things quiet.

As for NNR anyone with a remote DSB?

Invigor
09-26-2005, 04:31 AM
i'll give you everything I own that's saltwater related for your house :mrgreen:

mark
09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Invigor, then where would I put my tank?