PDA

View Full Version : Sequence Reefflo Baracuda

Snoop Dog
09-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Im thinking about purchasing this pump for a closed loop on my 90?

Does anyone have any experience with this brand, they look HUGE!!

Im worried about noise and Vibration. Only other circulation in tank would be my Velocity T4 on a Sea swirl for a return.

thanks for the help,

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_mdm_sequence_reeflo_dart_barracuda_ hammerhead_manta_ray_tiger_shark.asp?CartId=

Ruth
09-25-2005, 03:13 PM
That is what I am going to use on my closed loop in the 190 that I am setting up. They are huge and I am a bit concerned about noise as well. I am going to set up a piece of that foam stuff underneath to try and reduce noise/vibration.
I am hoping to have my plumbing finished sometime in the next 2 weeks and have water in my system so will report back on noise.

SuperFudge
09-25-2005, 03:34 PM
These pumps are probably the quietest pumps out there for that kind of flow.

If you want it a tad quieter use the dart, it is nearly silent.

Unfortunatly, you wont find a pump that pushes almost 5000 gph that is absolutley silent...but thats about as close as you get.

Its not only what you put under the pump, it also how its plumbed.
Your closest pipe on the output and the intake should be flex...then you can switch to rigid if you like.
It makes a world of difference.

Marc.

Ruth
09-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Marc do you mean the inlet and outlet from the pump or the tank? I am just going to start plumbing so this would help.

Delphinus
09-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Pump side. :smile:

Ruth
09-25-2005, 04:22 PM
So what do you do? Just run say 12" or so of flex and then go to hard PVC?

mr_alberta
09-25-2005, 04:24 PM
You could run the entire length in flex. That should also increase the flow coming out of the pump and cut back on the need for some fittings.

Snoop Dog
09-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Is the Baracuda overkill for a 90? would the Dart be better, Thinking of keeping mainly SPS,

Only other flow is a T4 return on a Sea swirl.

Ruth
09-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Personally I don't think it would be too much flow because you will lose some due to head and then I assume you are going to split it at least 4 ways?
For my 190 I am going with the Barracuda through an Ocean Motions 4 way with each one of those split again before it enters the tank - so 8 inflows into the tank. I am also going with 2 X 6200 Tunzes with a controller for additional flow.
Again it is only what I am going to do and I am also going to keep mostly SPS with maybe a couple of LPS.

Richer
09-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Depends on how the water is going to be entering your tank... if its only going to come out of one or two outlets, then yes, way too much... but if you're going to disperse it evenly all around your tank, then I'd say go for it!

-Rich

bluetang
09-25-2005, 04:36 PM
too much flow is better than not enough IMO. You can always tune back but its harder to add more. More $$$$$$

SuperFudge
09-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I atleast like to run the first part flex, up to the valve and union.

It best to place a union, then the ball valve on the inlet lines in that order, and vice versa on outputs.

If your pump is oversized (wich is best) then i actually like to run rigid PVC after the unions and valves, that way i can tuck it all up tight or beside stuff rather than in my way.
It also makes for a cleaner job.

On OM`s it depends soley on the version drum you have, that would decide for me what type of pipe to use.
If its version 3 Drum , you will want to use spax flex as much as possible on the outlets...This drum version does not like any back pressure, and on a big pump like the 'cuda its hard not to do.
Version 2 i would use either spa or rigid, whatever you would think is better for your scenario...it better drum for the big pumps.

I run 2 OM 4ways, each getting 6000 gph, version 2 is the only option for me, or i would have to opt for more ports open at a time.

Marc.

qwiksilver
09-26-2005, 01:13 AM
I ran a dart on my 120. Wicked flow. Closed loop is the way to go unless you have a monster sump. And, you actually can have too much flow, but most people tend to not have that problem. However, if you go with the dart and run it closed loop (which I would suggest), then you will need another pump to feed up from your sump. And if you run the Dart CL, then I doubt you will have significant head loss, in which case you might end up wanting to cut back the flow as some others have suggested. Word of CAUTION :eek: though, if you end up cutting your pump back a third, you run the risk of burning your pump out. Not the kind of money I would "waste" on a nice pump. :sad: I know you want high flow for your sps, but your clams will absolutely hate you for it. You'll be looking to make calm pockets you can stick them in, but if you have tons of flow blasting through your tank, it might be rather difficult. HTH

mark
09-26-2005, 03:46 AM
My understanding is compared to a reef, there's no way we could have too much flow in our tanks, just to much velocity. Could you add more bulkheads for the CL outlets or Tee the ones already in the tank to disperse the flow?

qwiksilver
09-26-2005, 04:08 AM
more outlets into the tank would help. Ever considered a surge. That's primo ocean flow. :razz: