PDA

View Full Version : Water test kits, Seachem vs Hagen

DanG
09-24-2005, 05:50 PM
My hagen calcium test kit is almost empty. Is there much difference between the hagen one and the seachem one? I can get the hagen one for $12 and the seachem one for $32.
:confused:

Ruth
09-24-2005, 06:05 PM
I always use Salifert tests. From what I have read they are far superior than other commonly available test kits. No personal experience tho' other than using test "strips" in the past that I know are not very accurate.

fishface
09-24-2005, 06:38 PM
i found the hagen kit to be very unreliable so i went with salifert as well. hagen Ca-600+ppm vs. salifert 420ppm same water sampled :eek:

reeferaddict
09-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I've used Hagen, Salifert, Seachem, and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits. Bang for your buck? AP. $16.99 with an accuracy of +- 20 ppm.

Invigor
09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
I found my hagen test kits (when new) were giving me pretty decent results. they seemed to age quickly though, causing them to not work anymore.

DanG
10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
I ended picking up a salifert kit from the lfs.
The results of my not so scientific test.
A newish Hageg test kit, had it for about 4 months and almost empty, this is what I've been using since I started adding calcium to my tank. Once I figured out the colour change, it has been pretty easy to use, but a lot of work involving adding 1 drop at a time, put the cap on the test tube, shake, 1 more drop, shake and repeat. Each drop was 20ppm, usually needing about 20 drops. Result of the water test. 390ppm.
New off the shelf salifert kit. Seems fairly easy to use. Broken tip included with the kit, so I had to get my girlfriend to bring me one home from work. Add the tank water, add 1 spoon of the powder, and add 1 drop from the syringe and swirl. Much easier than having to cap the test tube and shake every time. Result of the water test. 395ppm.

Not that bad IMO.

geopod
10-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I used to use hagen and seachem but was told about salifert and thats all i use now.It costs alittle more but I feel my tank is worth it.Just my opinion for what its worth

george

Shy_Koi
10-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I ended picking up a salifert kit from the lfs.
Add the tank water, add 1 spoon of the powder, and add 1 drop from the syringe and swirl. Much easier than having to cap the test tube and shake every time. Result of the water test. 395ppm.
Not that bad IMO.

If you have an approx idea of where your calcium's sitting at, you can add about 75% of the Salifert reagent in the syringe, all at once. Swirl 5 or so seconds to allow proper mixing and then continue adding drop by drop and swirling after each drop until the colour changes.
Much faster this way :lol:
~Tamara

totalpackage181
10-17-2005, 07:47 PM
why waste time and energy, take it from people who have been doing this for years..they will almost always tell you the same thing..buy the salifert..everyone wants to invest in livestock...but that is just a waste when it does not thrive because you really dont understand your water chemistry.....buy the saliferts...read up and do some learning