PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical filtration + BB

Saltysteve
09-24-2005, 04:08 PM
I know many think that a cannister type filter is just a nitrate factory but what do you think about a cannister with an average skimmer in a BB setup?

Thinking I may benefit from such a setup. The small cartridge filter on my power head is struggling!

Aquattro
09-24-2005, 05:55 PM
In my setup, i don't use any mechanical filtration other than the skimmer.

rusty
09-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Same thing for me :biggrin:

Ruth
09-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Me too. I will sometimes use a HOT cannister to run carbon for a few days but other than the skimmer and I guess the calcium reactor I don't run any. My experience with cannisters has been dismal.

KrazyKuch
09-24-2005, 07:50 PM
I tried the canister filters but I could never keep my nitrate down, So I went with out and put in a sump and have never really had a nitrate problem since!!!

Joe Reefer
09-24-2005, 08:09 PM

Me too.

vanreefer
09-24-2005, 08:16 PM
I agree.... the only benefit I could see to running a canister would be for carbon... and even then I would probably skip using the foam media... BB tanks make it easier to get rid of detritus with a suction hose anyway.

Beverly
09-25-2005, 12:57 AM
I use mecahnical filtration in our three BB reefs. The key to low to no nitrates is clean the living heck out of the foams weekly, and weekly detritus siphoning during water changes. When siphoning detritus from the bottom, make sure you gently blow the stuff out from under the rock structure and siphon that out as well.

It also helps not to overfeed the tank and have non-invasive macroalgae to utilize nutrients.

Saltysteve
09-25-2005, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the replies!
I have 0 nitrates right now, rather not see any but, I would like to implement say a Fluval 304 or something. Bev, you've never steered me wrong in the past :lol:

Anymore comments ?
Thanks

Gizmo
09-25-2005, 03:42 AM
Relativly close to the topic:

I was watching big brother 6 this season, and I noticed they had what looked like a 200g tank, fake plants, big creek rock, NO Live Rock and a good number of salt water fish, some tangs, etc. Looked GREAT. How does one go about having a FO tank with no live rock? What are the filters needed to keep things running. I was thinking of setting up a small 50g at my office in a similar fasion.

mr_alberta
09-25-2005, 03:44 AM
Relativly close to the topic:

I was watching big brother 6 this season, and I noticed they had what looked like a 200g tank, fake plants, big creek rock, NO Live Rock and a good number of salt water fish, some tangs, etc. Looked GREAT. How does one go about having a FO tank with no live rock? What are the filters needed to keep things running. I was thinking of setting up a small 50g at my office in a similar fasion.

I would assume they have a huge wet/dry filter somewhere packed with bio-balls for that...

Richer
09-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Just run it like you would with a FW tank. Run either a wet/dry, or go simpler and run a few canisters. Fishless cycle the tank with ammonia, and add fish when cycle is complete (after ~4-6 weeks). Just add salt. Water changes are done to keep nitrates low, just like in FW tanks.

-Rich