PDA

View Full Version : The Disappearing Goby

TAZ
09-23-2005, 09:49 PM
We were lucky enough to purchase a Griessingei Goby (Dancing Goby) from J&L.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/479Goby.jpg

He was not cheap, but an amazing fish so we had to have him. We put him in the tank, and that was the last we saw of him. For the first week we searched high and low for him, but never saw him. We decided to call him "Big Foot" and the urban myth began to grow that this fish even existed in our tank :biggrin:

For the last 6 months he has never been seen, we had given up hope and assumed he had died. However, last night as I was doing my regular flashlight check our beloved "Big Foot" was sitting out on a rock underneath the moonlight. I dragged my wife out of bed just so she could be there to witness the sighting. I only wish I had my camera around, so that I could have taken a shot of him.

Just curious to see if anyone else has ever had a fish M.I.A for so long, only to appear many months later.

Petcrazy
09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Its happened to be in reaaaally planted tanks...

It's always an interesting surprise to see them again...
Since my tank tear down my neon goby has been missing...(few days ago)...hopefully he'll turn up soon too.

Ruth
09-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Well this is really funny because I bought that exact same gobi when J&L had them a few months ago and the same thing. Put him in my tank and never saw him again (it's only a 12g nano but lots of live rock) Last weekend when I was inspecting the tank I saw his lying on the sand bed and was amazed that his "body" was still intact - I had assummed he had died. As soon as I moved in for a closer look - bam- he was gone behind the rockwork and I have not seen him again.

Invigor
09-24-2005, 01:06 AM
yea, i've got a firefish that I haven't seen for about 2 months, made a suprise sighting the other day...then back into hibernation or something.. My yellow watchman does the same..found him when I moved my rock into another tank and he popped out