PDA

View Full Version : Strange tang behavior

danny zubot
09-23-2005, 04:54 PM
My regal tang has developed some strange yet entertaining behavior. He swims to the water surface, grabs a gulp of air, swims back to the bottom and releases the bubbles. He does this in the evenings over and over. Its fun to watch but I can't help to wonder if there is another reason for it?

fatpuffer
09-23-2005, 05:20 PM
just trying to get ur attention?! :biggrin: If he or she is eating well, no sign of hypoxia, I dont think u have anything to worry about.

js

christyf5
09-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Mine does that too. I think regals are just weird :razz:

Xtasia
09-23-2005, 05:39 PM
my Regal tang is a weirdo too.. She hosts in corals with my Clowns... Sleeps horizontally in one of my small flat caves..

got her when she was barely 1 inch TOO CUTE!

Ruth
09-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Mine does the same thing and every so often just to keep me on my feet he will also make a big splash with his tail while he is up these gulping air. If I happen to be sitting at the computor beside the tank it is not unusual for me to get splashed (and startled).
Mine sleeps totally upsidedown between a rock and my overflow. All you can see is his yellow tail sticking up in the air.

Skimmerking
09-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Well mine tang its not a Regal ,but the yellow tang is trying always to pick a fight with the pink cap in my tank just started this yesterday..

funny as heck

danny zubot
09-23-2005, 07:07 PM
And who says fish don't have persnality! :lol:

DanG
09-23-2005, 07:09 PM
All this makes me want to get a tang even more, but I don't want the tang police coming after me for having one in a 36" long tank.
Just something more exciting than my maroon clown who never leaves his BTA.

danny zubot
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
My tank is only 36" long, its a 65 gallon. I bought it at 1" and its now just shy of 2 inches. Tang police schmang police! I'm keeping it for as long as I can.

Xtasia
09-23-2005, 08:47 PM
"No officer. I do not know a Danny Zubot."

danny zubot
09-23-2005, 09:07 PM
:mrgreen:

vertex
09-23-2005, 10:51 PM
DanG,

I had the same thoughts as you when I only had a maroon that never left its BTA. Want a tang, but too small with only a 33g. The cruel police would get me then, not just the tang police.

Anyway, my BTA split and with one on each end of the tank, the maroon now rips between them back and forth especially at feeding time, giving and feeding food between the two BTAs. After a few months of this, he now goes anywhere quite freely. Still sleeps and hides in the BTA, but you might want to consider another BTA to get the clown to be more adventurous. Worked for mine...

DanG
09-23-2005, 11:27 PM
DanG,

I had the same thoughts as you when I only had a maroon that never left its BTA. Want a tang, but too small with only a 33g. The cruel police would get me then, not just the tang police.

Anyway, my BTA split and with one on each end of the tank, the maroon now rips between them back and forth especially at feeding time, giving and feeding food between the two BTAs. After a few months of this, he now goes anywhere quite freely. Still sleeps and hides in the BTA, but you might want to consider another BTA to get the clown to be more adventurous. Worked for mine...

Worth a shot. Thanks for the idea.

Snappy
09-23-2005, 11:43 PM
All this makes me want to get a tang even more, but I don't want the tang police coming after me for having one in a 36" long tank.
Just something more exciting than my maroon clown who never leaves his BTA.
There are a lot of concerned folks that get upset with crowded tanks......but personally I doubt they've ever dove in a real coral reef before because they get very crowded there too. In fact there seems to be a lot of wide open areas but the fish seem to congregate together anyway. I know my opinion will offend some but I think we keep fish for our enjoyment and not the fish's, if it was for their enjoyment we wouldn't keep them at all and leave them in the wild. I also know that if & when I have a fish that eventually outgrows my tank I can always trade it in at my LFS or find a home for it here on Canreef. I think the main concern is; can your system handle the bio-load that either a lot of fish or large fish put out?