PDA

View Full Version : Snails only out at night ???

OCDP
09-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I only have 3 snails.. and I really couldn't tell you which type they are as I completely forgot.

But anyhow, I don't see the snails active during the day anymore at all.. only when the lights are out! I used to see them more during the day, but for the longest time they have been hiding during the day.

Is this normal? And why do they do this ?

rickjames
09-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Yep, that's what mine do... I'm guessing they do it in the wild too.

OCDP
09-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Cool.. I just found it a little odd because they used to be active during the day time..

It would make sense though, hiding from predators and such?

Thanks.

Scott

Beverly
09-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Dang, Scott, you made me look :lol: :razz:

In all three of our BB reefs, most of the snails are out on the rock and glass. Only a few are under the rock hiding. It's mid afternoon right now.

However, I've noticed if I'm messing around in a tank for any reason, they all make a bee-line under the rock.

muck
09-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Every night about an hour after lights off my front glass is crawling with snails.
Maybe they don't care for bright lighting..

OCDP
09-22-2005, 09:16 PM
hm, interesting... maybe certain species of snails like to venture out at night more than others.. I am not sure.

heh, I should add more snails either way... and then I can take a closer observation too.. I mean 3 snails isn't many !

Bob I
09-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Trochus Snails are nocturnal. Astrea, and Cerith snails are not nocturnal. :mrgreen:

Murminator
09-23-2005, 01:45 AM
Maybe they don't care for bright lighting..

My one tank with PC lighting the snails are visable all day long the tank with MH the snails hide under the powerheads and behind the heaters in the shade and they are all trochus snails