PDA

View Full Version : Rebate Money

SJSobczyk
09-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Well i am quite excited about this extra $400 coming my way so i thought i would get myself a treat.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-pc.php?product_ID=pc-ll48654

What kind of corals could i house with this over my 75 gallon? Current inhabitants are 1 - Coral banded shrimp 1 - chocolate chip star (probably trouble with some corals) 1 - peppermint shrimp 2 - black percs 1 - bicolor angel 1 - emerald crab (possible trouble as well?)

If anything i probably could get rid of the CC starfish but the emerald crab would be a real pain.

Let me know

Thanks

STeve

impreza
09-22-2005, 02:16 PM
For that price, you can buy a pretty nice pendant setup. That would be better choice IMO.

SJSobczyk
09-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Wont i need 2 to cover the distance in the tank? Plus the fact i know nothing about metal halide lighting.

Steve

SJSobczyk
09-22-2005, 05:03 PM
I have been reading alot of impressive things about this fixture. Would i be getting a better value out of this?

http://islandaquatics.com/product_detail.php?category_id=16&product_id=356

*Didnt notice this was an american site*

Any canadian sites sell these?

Steve

Tarolisol
09-22-2005, 10:52 PM
With either of those fixtures you could keep most corals exept for SPS. You could probly keep some basic SPS like digitata. Metal halide is another route but requires some know how to get it done for a decent price. You could get one of these( http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-hoodp2.php?product_ID=pfo-hp8m ) if you dont mind having lights hanging from your ceiling. that would cover you entire tank and let you keep any coral you liked.

Bob I
09-22-2005, 10:57 PM
With either of those fixtures you could keep most corals exept for SPS. You could probly keep some basic SPS like digitata. Metal halide is another route but requires some know how to get it done for a decent price. You could get one of these( http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-hoodp2.php?product_ID=pfo-hp8m ) if you dont mind having lights hanging from your ceiling. that would cover you entire tank and let you keep any coral you liked.

You would not get enough coverage on a four foot tank with one pendant.

BT05
09-23-2005, 06:20 AM
If you feel that you want to keep SPS corals right away, then go ahead and spend it on metal halide lighting. Usually 1 MH light covers a 2'x2' area, but this will change depending on the depth of your tank, how high off the surface the fixture will be installed and how your rockwork is set up.

I would spend the money on soft corals, LPS and other livestock. There are enough species out there to keep you interested for a while until you decide that you absolutely *need* metal halide lighting.

The CC star will eat your corals unfortunately, but the emerald should be ok provided it is the real deal.

SJSobczyk
09-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks all for your help. I have been thinking about it and metal halide is still out of grasp for now. As long as i can keep some corals that will keep me busy enough!

Thanks again,

Steve

danny zubot
09-23-2005, 02:21 PM
In that case I'd go with the T-5 setup. 432watt with the T-5 vs. 260watts with the PC light.

BTW, is it a for sure thing, this "prosparity" cheque? I think I'd spend a bit of mine on the tank, but most of it will go toward Christmas presents.

SJSobczyk
09-23-2005, 02:46 PM
BTW, is it a for sure thing, this "prosparity" cheque?

The way its looking the cheques should be out within the next couple of months. They were definitly thinking by the end of the year. But now they are thinking of taxing the kids because it is "income". BAH!

I have no clue where to get myself a nice t-5 setup though? Every time i do a search i just find hydrophonic stores that carry them. Cops will be thinking i have a grow op going on!

Let me know if you guys know where to find one

Thanks
Steve

danny zubot
09-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Cops will be thinking i have a grow op going on!

After I upgraded to a 400 watt MH and before I modified my MH reflector I had the whole courtyard lit up like it was Christmas. Neighbors were wondering what was going on in my condo!

OCDP
09-23-2005, 03:15 PM
hahaha you should see my bedroom ! If your looking outside my room just looks like this super bright glow .. and cause its a 20k bulb it looks blueish ... haha it's sooo noticable, it would on the other hand be funny if someone came by and asked me what I was up to... I'd just take them upstairs and show them !

I agree, if you just want corals... and don't care really about the SPS thing yet then some softies and LPS will definitely be good for you. T5 lighting is really good from what I hear.. no first hand experience... and as for finding T5 online I am not too sure where to look.

SJSobczyk
09-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Can any zoo's be kept with what is either going to work out to be: 3.5 wpg (coralife) or 4.32 (t-5)?

I think the costs of the t-5's is just going to be too much. It would be alot easier if we lived in the states where there is actually competitive sites.
So most likely i will be going with the coralife.

Thanks
Steve

Tarolisol
09-23-2005, 09:08 PM
You will have no problem keeping any zoos you can find with either of those fixtures.

Snappy
09-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Well i am quite excited about this extra $400 coming my way so i thought i would get myself a treat.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-pc.php?product_ID=pc-ll48654

What kind of corals could i house with this over my 75 gallon? Current inhabitants are 1 - Coral banded shrimp 1 - chocolate chip star (probably trouble with some corals) 1 - peppermint shrimp 2 - black percs 1 - bicolor angel 1 - emerald crab (possible trouble as well?)

If anything i probably could get rid of the CC starfish but the emerald crab would be a real pain.

Let me know

Thanks

STeve

for that price you can buy my 72'' pc unit with 5 lunar lights. It is in great shape.

impreza
09-24-2005, 06:27 AM
Have you tried a quote on the fixtures from Ocean Aquatics or Saltwater Connection?

SJSobczyk
09-26-2005, 02:21 PM
for that price you can buy my 72'' pc unit with 5 lunar lights. It is in great shape.

Sorry but i am thinking that is a little too big for a 4 foot tank.

Have you tried a quote on the fixtures from Ocean Aquatics or Saltwater Connection?

No i havent but i will do that!

Thanks again folks,

Steve