PDA

View Full Version : LED's

FishGeek
03-18-2002, 05:29 PM
I was wondering if there are any Electrical engineers out there? I need some advice on an idea I'm working on. I have a LED flash light which puts out a very bright and blue light and is only powered by 2 watch batteries. Also when I projected this light into my aquarium, it gave a shimmering effect like MH lighting. My question is about how many Ultra Brite LED's would be needed to give the same light output as say a 175w MH? I think this would be a great way to light aquariums in the future. The bulbs are cheap and cost next to nothing to power!!
Just would like some input on my Idea

Simon

DJ88
03-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Simon,

I am looking into getting some High intensity LEDs for spotlighting variuos corals. Only that tho.

I'll let ya know. smile.gif

Troy F
03-18-2002, 07:11 PM
There was an extensive thread regarding LEDs on fishnet a couple of months ago. It is worth checking out if you are so inclined. Seems to me that the final word was that they are not at the point of being finacially viable yet.

DJ88
03-18-2002, 07:30 PM
That was the thread that has me looking into getting some for spotlighting a few corals only Troy. I can get my hands on all kinds of High intensity LED's, it's just using them.

Troy F
03-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Darren, what about for moonlighting? I'd be interested. Let me know what you think.

BTW, moonlighting for the reeftank. Not you out moonlighting as a topless dancer.

Sushiman
03-18-2002, 07:57 PM
These sound very cool...can we bring some info to the meeting on these?

DJ88
03-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Funny Troy.. lol you are quite the comedian today aren't ya.. ;)

You can get various colors of high intensity LED's I figure a blue shade woudl be great for moonlighting. Run several of them on a small little card and vary the number illuminated to change the amount of light going into the tank.

hmm.. Good idea troy.

Sushi. I'll see what I can find out. Maybe even bring a few to demo.

Silverfish
03-18-2002, 08:33 PM
I have heard talk of using LED's to light a reef tank, but that it is just to expensive. Does anybody know how expensive it could be? Say you wanted to replace a 250 watt MH, even if it cost $2000 the LED lamps last for many years compared to MH, and are also more efficient to run.

I really hope this is something that is in the future of this hobby. Imagine a reef lighting system that was completely dimmable, had lamps that last for 10 years or more, and cost much less to operate every month. :D

Troy F
03-18-2002, 09:18 PM
>Funny Troy.. lol you are quite the comedian today aren't ya<

I quit smoking again and I'm a little hyper.

DJ88
03-18-2002, 09:22 PM
Ahh gotcha. GOod luck with it.

You interested in trying out the LED moonlight thing?

FishGeek
03-18-2002, 11:40 PM
Can anyone tell me exactly where I can find the LED article from a few months ago?

Simon

DJ88
03-18-2002, 11:43 PM
It's on Fishnet
Click here. (http://forums.compuserve.com/vlforums/default.asp?SRV=Fishnet)