PDA

View Full Version : adding 80lbs of LR-with coral!? (edit)

jennytheleopardgrouper
09-21-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm getting 80lbs of LR soon, and they're just covered in mushroom coral. They're also coming with some other coral that aren't attached...Now, if I get a spike, will my coral die off? Should I dump in some Prime with the rock, and if so, how much? Or should I just do some water changes and keep testing? I have a small quarantne tank (10 gal) that I'm planning to throw my fish into (green chromis) and I was thinking I would throw those extra coral in with them, until the main tank stabilizes. Any thoughts? Thanks!

edit- The rock is from an established tank about 3-4 years old. The trip home should take about 4-5 hours, and everything will be transported in rubbermaid containers with plenty of water. Does this change things?

danny zubot
09-21-2005, 04:45 PM
I would cure that rock before putting it in. Just use a rubbermaid bin or something with a heater and powerhead. Prime is really only good for short term ammonia issues, you could still get a spike after using it.

rickjames
09-21-2005, 04:49 PM
If the rock is good fully cured rock from an established tank and you can get it to your tank fairly quickly I would be be suprised if you see a spike.

I would hold off on the unattached coral if possible for a week or so and monitor your levels.

Just my 02. :biggrin:

Troy F
09-21-2005, 05:54 PM
I'd follow the superfreak's advice.

rickjames
09-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Even with that amount of travel I doubt you would have a spike. When I setup my 150, I bought my rock cured at the LFS, traveled for an hour in hot weather with no water, dropped them in my completely empty tank, and never ever had a reading of over 0 for ammonia nitrite or nitrate, even with testing everyday. And due to my old tank cracking, I added all my livestock from my 30 Gallon at the one week mark. Never had anything die, and I had fish, clams, coral, and two BTA anemones.

I am in no way recommending such a fast start, but it sure makes me rethink some of the ideas on tank cycling, and makes me think you should be ok with your plan...

jennytheleopardgrouper
09-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks alot! I'll just put it all in and test frequently for the first day or two. If I get a spike I'll put a bit of Prime in and do a small water change.
:smile:

rickjames
09-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks alot! I'll just put it all in and test frequently for the first day or two. If I get a spike I'll put a bit of Prime in and do a small water change.
:smile:

Better yet, if you get a spike skip the additive and do a large water change. But things should be fine.

reeferaddict
09-22-2005, 10:35 AM
I agree with Brennan... skip the prime and have enough water mixed up to do water changes... if you DO use the prime ya better turn your skimmer off or you will almost be guaranteed an overflow... just another good reason to keep it to water changes. If the trip is made that quickly and it isn't exposed to ignorant temp extremes there will be very little die off. I think the best way to freight it is in a plastic bag and damp newspaper, but check on this, maybe buckets would be better. (of course keep any coral pieces completely in water).