PDA

View Full Version : Flatworms, wondering whether to treat or ignore.

trilinearmipmap
09-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Lately I noticed some flatworms in my reef tank. There aren't very many of them.

On the one hand I figure ignore them if they are not causing problems.

On the other hand, if I wait until they get out of control, they can cause more problems with toxin release if and when I finally treat them.

I am not to eager to use Flatworm Exit because I am worried it might affect my anemone and my feather duster worm.

My Mandarin doesn't eat them, my Copperband ignores them. A wrasse might not be a good idea because my tank is fully stocked and the Mandarin and Copperband already compete for pods.

Anyway I am just looking for input on whether to nuke them or leave them alone.

Psyire
09-21-2005, 03:00 AM
I've heard of blue neon gobies eating them. (cleaner gobies)

Gools
09-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Which kind of flatworm do you have? The red ones, Clear, etc....
I have seen a couple clear ones in my tank, but they are not harmfull, and don't reproduce like the red ones.

Aquattro
09-21-2005, 03:16 AM
I've used FW Exit with an anemone, no problems

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-21-2005, 03:58 AM
My black leopard wrasse ate them up like candy :eating: :biggrin:

trilinearmipmap
09-21-2005, 05:11 AM
I've heard of blue neon gobies eating them. (cleaner gobies)

I have a blue neon goby, I haven't seen it eating them, I'll keep an eye out though.

trilinearmipmap
09-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Which kind of flatworm do you have? The red ones, Clear, etc....
I have seen a couple clear ones in my tank, but they are not harmfull, and don't reproduce like the red ones.

The flatworms are reddish brown colour.

trilinearmipmap
09-21-2005, 05:13 AM
My black leopard wrasse ate them up like candy :eating: :biggrin:

I'd love to get a leopard wrasse, the main reason I haven't done it is because I heard they are hard to keep when you first get them.

monza
09-21-2005, 06:25 AM
I have had them a while now... 6-9 months or so and have had Flat Worm Exit and have not used it yet. Been a bit lazy with my tank and wanted to suck out as many as possible before using the Exit and that has just not happened. About a month ago they seem to have started to dwindle in numbers, at the peak it was bad. I think if they keep dwindling in size I’ll still use the Exit to kill them all. They never did bother corals just me.
The reason I never wanted to use the Flatworm Exit with a lot of them is that when they die they can be toxic.

Sorry for the long babble but if I was you I would treat them now before they get real bad. Suck as many as you can for a few days and Nuke them with Flatworm Exit.

Dave

Chin_Lee
09-21-2005, 02:17 PM
I've used flatworm exit on my tank twice now. The first time i followed the recommended dosage of 1 drop per gallon and lots of them died but a few days later, i still see them around. I retreated at 2 drops per gallon and more died but a few days alter, I stilllll see them around. I haven't treated again since and they are starting to come back. i have the reddish ones that primarily stay on the sand close to the rocks.
both times i had no side effects on any anenomes, sps, lps, inverts and i didn't do any water changes after either.

Xtasia
09-21-2005, 08:00 PM
I was hesitant myself. but after this thread I think Im going to treat this weekend.
can anyone post oif thye HAVE had negative experiences?

Thanks.

- X err.. S.

Ryan7
09-21-2005, 08:04 PM
If they are the red ones, I would ignore. IME they do not harm anything. Flatworm exit will kill them, but what else does it kill that you cannot see.

reeferaddict
09-21-2005, 08:53 PM
I've done the treatment...twice ... a whole bunch died... but they're back albeit in lesser numbers in less than a month... no problems with anything else in the tank, but I did a 25% water change and ran carbon.... nobody seemed stressed at all... 2nd time I only did a 10% water change... no problems... but I DO question the effectiveness of the treatment.

psuedo
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
I have just noticed a few in my tank, and I am wondering what the long term effects can be with them in your tank. Will they end up eating away at all corals, or do they only have a taste for SPS.

Sorry to bring up this old post, but it was relevant to my tank

reeferaddict
10-10-2005, 11:24 PM
After reading an excellent article in the June/July Coral Magazine, I have decided not to treat again... I still have the little buggers in my tank, but have found nothing that suggests they will harm anything unlike Acro flatworms. The article DOES mention ways to treat, but also questions their effectiveness along with what microbial damage we may be doing to our tanks at the same time... Suggestions for biological control are things like 6 line and Leopard Wrasses, Copperband Butterflies and specialized flatworm eating nudibranchs... I have everything of those save the nudibranchs, and I DO notice all of those fish feasting on the odd one off the rocks from time to time... From what I have read in other articles and hobbyist experiences, the infestation seems to bloom and then subside. Phosphates and silicates are known to provide them with fuel, so limiting these nutrients is a chemical control option as well... My two treatments have cost $80 and a whole lot of work, (25% of 300 gallons is a LOT of water to make and change!!!), so I won't be doing it again unless I notice bad things happening... :confused:

psuedo
10-11-2005, 12:16 AM
good advice...thanks...i was just talking to a friend and in his tanks he has not noticed any corals being damaged...so to conclude all this i am just going to leave my tank to fend for itself with flatworms...part of my tanks biodiversity I guess