PDA

View Full Version : Planning for a Power Outage

Werbo
09-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey all

I recently moved to the outskirts of Victoria. Last year in my new neighboorhood there was a power outage that lasted over 48 hrs.
In case this happens this year I wanna be prepared so my sps frags and other livestock survive.
I'm assuming the frags will be ok without light for 48 hrs. So, what could I buy to keep my heater and powerhead running in case of a long power outage. Anything cheaper than a generator that will work?

Also where could I buy such equipment.

Thanks, Tyler

Psyire
09-20-2005, 11:04 PM
These are a must:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9314&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030044&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1127257305618

They automatically turn on when they sense no power and can run for up to 5 days on just 2 batteries. I have 2 on the way, I figure they give you more than enough time to get home if the power goes out. A generator is pretty much a must if you plan on going for days without power. These airpumps will take care of small outages.

StirCrazy
09-21-2005, 12:30 AM
you don't need anything from petsmart rather get this.. I am looking into them now myself

http://www.aapower.com/15kwgenerac-generator.html

Steve

adidas
09-21-2005, 01:10 AM
why not get one of those powerboxes from canadian tire?

AndyL
09-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Watch the type of inverter you use (and test it before you need it) some of the dc->ac converters create a square wave (instead of sine wave ala true AC power) which will not run pumps, or may cause damage to them. There's a fair bit of info on reefcentral on the topic.

Andy

Troy F
09-21-2005, 05:11 AM
Steve, is that price cdn?

StirCrazy
09-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Steve, is that price cdn?

naa add 2K to it for the canadian ones at Home Depot.

Steve

Jack
09-27-2005, 03:31 AM
Ya you'll be better off with a generator if you want to go something like 48hrs. Some generators can run a whole tank but they are expensive.

I've thought about a small on for myself. Just waiting to win the lottery next week.

mark
09-28-2005, 04:00 AM
Though doesn't appear anything suitable now, keep a eye on http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/search/regcom-e.cfm

Do a search for generator.

Ruth
09-28-2005, 04:12 AM
I realize that everyone has different systems with different life in them but I know that I did not have to do very many guzinto's to figure out that a generator was pretty cheap compared to what I have put into my tanks. Besides I can use it for camping and to run a lot of other things in my house when the power goes out. You can pick up a generator new at Canadian Tire or Costco for around $600 and a used one for a couple of hundred.
Pretty cheap really for the peace of mind and convenience.
Just my 0.02

Werbo
10-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Ok thanks. Hundreds of dollars........ yikkks!!

StirCrazy
10-16-2005, 04:03 AM
Ya you'll be better off with a generator if you want to go something like 48hrs. Some generators can run a whole tank but they are expensive.

I've thought about a small on for myself. Just waiting to win the lottery next week.

the problem with portable generators is at best you get 6 hours on a tank, if you are away and the power goes out for 11 hours you still have 5 hours with no power. they are awsome if you are home and have a can of gas to fill them when they need it. The one I am looking at is a whole house solution with auto change over and is plumbed into the natural gas for your house so it will never run out of fuel. you pay for it but the security is second to none.

Steve

Ruth
10-16-2005, 04:22 AM
I don't know about the 5 hours. I run my whole travel trailer including furnace/air conditioner (whichever is needed) fridge, television etc. etc. for at least 12 hours on a tank of gas. My generator has a regulator thingy that adjusts the speed it runs at depending on how much power is being pulled. I also always have 3 or 4 5gallon gas cans full (or at least I hope they are full - I also have a 20 year old son at home who seems to think that any gas laying around is automatically his). I have not had to run my tank off the generator yet *crosses fingers and knocks on head* but I am sure that it would run my pumps for at least 12 hours.

Ruth
10-16-2005, 04:23 AM
Whoops hit submit before I was finished babbling. Steve I think that the set up you are going to would be ideal. Where are you getting it from?