PDA

View Full Version : Updated again. Stand changes and redesigns. Cut n ready to g

DJ88
03-11-2002, 01:26 AM
After a bit of deliberation and work at Marcs today I have decided to go with a 29 tall as my 'fuge gravity fed into the main tank. Being fed from my main return line from the sump. I will have one lid convering both now. And all plumbing form return lines will be hidden between the two tanks. Both tanks will be viewable form two sides. Any questions ask away. Will post pics as it is being finished.

http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/DIY/Drawing1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/DIY/Drawing2.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/DIY/Drawing3.jpg

[ 11 March 2002, 14:49: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

StirCrazy
03-11-2002, 01:51 AM
that looks pretty cool Darren.. can't wait to seee some pics of it..

Steve

Canadian
03-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Darren,

You told me to take a look at the design but I thought I'd post what I was thinking here before I forgot.

How tall is that little platform below the 'fuge gonna be? To account for the bulkhead in conjunction with the top plastic molding on the tank your gravity feed is going to be about 2-3" below the top of the plastic molding. In addition to that you're going to have to get the bottom edge of the plumbing over the top edge of the display tank, so the disparity between the 2 is going to be 2-4" roughly.

Also, if you're going to have DSBs in both tanks then you could run that front facing at the same height along the entire bottom of both tanks just to maintain continuity rather than having the side of the 'fuge being higher than the main tank.

And finally, that little section of your sump you have partitioned off with the baffles where your return pump will draw water from is going to be fairly small in volume. You'll need a pretty good top off system to ensure that the fluctuation in volume due to evaporation (especially in the summer) doesn't drop that level too low resulting in your pump sucking air.

Oh, and what kind of light are you gonna have in the sump? Why not forget that and just put them in the 'fuge while they're still small and save on the additional lighting that you would otherwise require to have the mangroves in the sump and macro algae in the 'fuge?

flUOrescent smile.gif There will be no baking occurring in your tank I hope...not this time at least :D

[ 11 March 2002, 15:18: Message edited by: Canadian ]

Silverfish
03-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Looks cool Darren, just wondering if you are putting a DSB in the main tank as well? :cool:

DJ88
03-11-2002, 09:15 PM
Andrew,

I was planning on using flour in the tank actually.. ;) :D

Marc & I had figured on 4 inches between the two tanks for top height. the platform will be adjusted once I get the 'fuge drilled.I have a stack of 3/4" spacing pieces of plywood as well as some sheets of 1/2" and 3/8" ply. As well the fuge tank is 2" taller than the main tank. So I am figuring on about 1.5-2" of spacers being made.

The height disparity on the facing panel is to compensate for the spacers lifting the base of the fuge up higher than the main tank.

I haven't made the baffles yet but was going to go about 1/2 way into the tank. 1'x1' with the baffles. I'll change the pic to illustrate this more effectively.

I was just gonna have a couple of PC's or else use that cheapo coralife electronic ballast I have and run two 36" NO's in the sump. There won't be enough room in the fuge for mangroves if I decide to use em. They aren't going in quite yet but it is an option for the sump.

Another option is if I decide to keep the 660 I am using for testing, I can run a couple of NO's in the sump at the same time as the main tank. I can run up to 16' of tubes to I have 8 feet left over with three 36" in the main tank. Its an idea. I know there won't be reverse photoperiod but we will see.

Bruce,

I may only go two inches or so in the main tank. Have all the DSB in the sump and fuge. I don't have a whole lot of depth so if I go smaller in the main tank and 4-6 in the others I should be fine.

[ 11 March 2002, 17:18: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

ldzielak
03-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Darren,

If you ever plan on cleaning you baffles, then I would sugest 3" spacing, I made mine too small. I guess that is how your learn!!

Lee