PDA

View Full Version : feather dusting the dusters?

Invigor
09-19-2005, 09:58 PM
does anyone know any tricks to ridding crazy amounts of feather dusters? I must have close to 300 or so of them, and I don't find them that appealing.

are there any tricks other than getting a butterfly or picking them off with tweezers?

reeferaddict
09-19-2005, 10:04 PM
I have the same problem in my tanks.... one thing I DID do when I did my upgrade was to scrub them off the rock as much as I could in a separate container before I returned them to the tanks... but for the most part they're back.... I bought a Copperband butterfly a couple of weeks ago and he constantly picks at them, and seems to be making some headway. I would think this is good as he is already learning from the rest of the fish about "feeding time" so hopefully by the time he finishes the worms off he will have acclimated to prepared foods as well... :confused:

Invigor
09-19-2005, 11:44 PM
that's exactly why I did when I moved my tank too, scrubbed all the rocks off, but they've come back with a vengance. I've tried CBB's too, but I can't keep them alive for the life of me, my other fish are too pushy when it comes feeding time and territorial business...oy.

reeferaddict
09-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Hmmm... touch wood.... my CB seems to be doing really well... but there's tons of room and places to hide... not to mention a million feather dusters that he can graze on... I'll keep you posted...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah, my CB wiped out my featherdusters & most of the aiptasia :biggrin: too. Unfortunately, my wife & I really like our featherdusters. Luckily this CB is eating frzn brine & now he's sampling mysis as well.

Anthony

Ruth
09-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I have a whack (probably thousands) of feather dusters in my tank but I kinda like them.

adidas
09-21-2005, 01:08 AM
u wanna get rid of feather dusters? get a threadfin butterfly, they love them (well the one i had) dunno how reef safe they are though.

Manny
09-21-2005, 03:23 AM
i know that hey don't like a lot of direct flow and they seem to only grow in lower light areas. do you have enough water current in your tank in the dark areas of your tank? i have a few in the darker areas of my tank but they never seem to get really out of controle.