PDA

View Full Version : In need of a temporary fix....

Dopey
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
One of my bulk heads is leaking :evil: and I was wondering what would work to fix this problem? I was thinking maybe the cocking stuff for bathrooms and sinks? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers Lisa

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
That stuff will kill off your tank because it will contain anti-mildew agents that can leach into your tank. If you have aquarium silicone, that may work but you would have to drain the tank down below the leak to get a dry surface to work on.

Anthony

Reefhawk1
09-19-2005, 08:07 PM
I use GE window and door silicone for my bulkheads and fittings. works excellent and it is cheap at any hardware store.

zulu_principle
09-19-2005, 11:38 PM
If its wet or leaking use 2 part epoxy that can be found at your LFS.

Wendell

Dopey
09-20-2005, 03:55 PM
It is wet and leaking :eek: would I have to let the tank drain past the bulk heads and dry first?

Lisa

Delphinus
09-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Where is it leaking from? Through the hole in the glass itself? If so then it's not sealed up good enough.

Tightening the nut may be all that's needed but be careful -- if you overtighten you can crack the glass and then you have a bigger problem on your hands. Depends on the glass. I would think that it's next to impossible to crack 1/2" glass (the bulkhead might snap first) but I can speak from experience (twice over) that you can definitely crack 1/4" glass by overtightening a bulkhead.

Personally I think if it was me I'd lower the water level, then try siliconing under the nut. You'll need to let it sit 24 hours to cure before raising the water level again. But it would be probably the least risky endeavour and it ought to fix the problem permanently.

HTH..