PDA

View Full Version : Flex PVC questions

Troy F
03-13-2002, 06:23 PM
Tony, I'm not sure what you mean by braided but it is "ribbed".

It can be joined with your regular schedule 40 PVC but there is a different cement, IPS Weld-On 795: for flex PVC.

Yes it is different than clear tubing.

DJ88
03-13-2002, 08:33 PM
Ditto what Troy said Tony. Different glue and it is white like sched 40 PVC. It is ribbed as well.

canadawest
03-13-2002, 08:43 PM
The question I have is:

It occurs to me that flex-PVC is considerably more expensive than similarly-sized clear vinyl tubing, so why would someone choose flex-PVC or even rigid PVC over clear vinyl?

I'm quite happy with my entire plumbing setup being clear vinyl tubing. It is easy to run, easy to remove/change and seems to have better fittings available.

Jack
03-13-2002, 08:48 PM
I was actually wondering the same thing. Is there a reason why we don't hear about people using this clear piping more often? I was thinking of using this clear piping for my tank, Is the "ribbed" better?

DJ88
03-13-2002, 08:57 PM
why would someone choose flex-PVC or even rigid PVC over clear vinyl?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Two words.

Algae growth.

I have clear and brainded tubing on my 33 right now and have algea growth. Corraline and other junk inside all my tubing. By using an opaque tubing minimal algea growth will occur.

When I set up the 45 I will put a small length of braided clear tubing as it is more flexible and will dampen vibrations being sent through the tubing. That will be the only use for the most part of clear or braided tubing.

As well any fittings you can get for 1" PVC will fit on flex, and since PVC is threaded with the same thread pattern as most barbs and such that you find you should be able to mix and match all parts for either. smile.gif Hope you understood that one. ;)

Is the "ribbed" better <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is a choice you and, ahhem.. ;) ohh wait.. sorry.. wrong ribbed.. ;) :D :D

The ribbed that is being talked about is on flex PVC. Not vinyl tubing.

Jack
03-13-2002, 09:34 PM
Haha, I know. I had a hard time trying not to laugh after I looked at how I said that about the "ribbed" pipe. I still might use the clear piping, but I will see I guess.

Delphinus
03-14-2002, 01:19 AM
Um ... so this stuff I was looking at today is clear, but has white criss-crossing (hence the name "braided"). So this is not the kind of stuff I want to use??

... I thought the braiding was some kind of method to prevent collapsing of the tubing (which pretty much always happens to me when I use the clear vinyl tubing..)

DJ88
03-14-2002, 02:32 AM
Tony,

I am running that same braided vinyl hose on my 33 right now. it works great. smile.gif But it does let algae grow in it.

Jack
03-14-2002, 03:47 AM
Hey Darren, is it worth using? Or is hard piping better?

sea gnome
03-14-2002, 04:40 AM
Hi, I used the flex pvc and used the grey smelly glue :D with no problems, no leaks. Rachel

Delphinus
03-14-2002, 04:42 AM
1. Is it always braided?

2. Can you join flex-PVC to the regular PVC (the white rigid piping) using the standard PVC cement? (The pink smelly cleaning compound and the grey smelly cementing goo... these are the technical terms! :D )

3. Flex PVC is a completely different thing than clear vinyl tubing? Or is it?

Troy F
03-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by delphinus:
Um ... so this stuff I was looking at today is clear, but has white criss-crossing (hence the name "braided"). So this is not the kind of stuff I want to use??

... I thought the braiding was some kind of method to prevent collapsing of the tubing (which pretty much always happens to me when I use the clear vinyl tubing..)<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tony, the white, criss-crossed braids are to prevent collapse in pressure situations ie., intake to pump. Flex-PVC is a different animal all together. The braided hose requires hose barb fittings and hose clamps. Flex-PVC can be joined to all sched 40 or 80 fittings with cement but the clear vinyl can't. HTHACUTC ;)

Delphinus
03-15-2002, 01:33 AM
Flex-PVC is a different animal all together. The braided hose requires hose barb fittings and hose clamps. Flex-PVC can be joined to all sched 40 or 80 fittings with cement but the clear vinyl can't.

Crap. So I guess I shouldn't have bought this stuff. (The guy at the plastics store told me I could use the PVC cement, but I don't know, I just don't get the sense that he knew what he was talking about.) :(

HTHACUTC

No idea what the "ACUTC" means?

Troy F
03-15-2002, 01:45 AM
No idea what the "ACUTC" means?

I was just fooling around: and clears up the confusion smile.gif . Ironic wasn't it.