PDA

View Full Version : end caps for 96 watt PC's

StirCrazy
03-07-2002, 02:31 AM
hey does anyone know whare I can get endcaps for my 96 watt PC's? one has a crack whare the wire goes in and I could probably epoxy it but I figured I could also just get new ones if I can find them..

Steve

dattack
03-07-2002, 09:07 PM
It might be no use to you but you can get them for $1 each or less at Edwin Gaynor in the U.S. However, the minimum order is $50. Same PC end caps for CSL.

reefburnaby
03-07-2002, 09:17 PM
German or Japanese PC sockets ?

You can get those from most lighting outfits and J&Ls.

- Victor.

[ 07 March 2002, 17:17: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

StirCrazy
03-07-2002, 09:21 PM
the panasonic (Japanese) are the ones I am looking for. it would seam that nowhare on the island has them.. some one said J&L has water proof ones, Darren could you take a look for me and see how much they are as they are not listed on there web page.

I saw that people have used conectors instead of endcaps is this a normal practice?

Steve

reefburnaby
03-07-2002, 09:32 PM
Hi,

j&Ls = $9.95 for regular...I think $15 or $20 for waterproof.

Yah...japanese ones are harder to find. The german ones are easier to find.

As for connectors instead of endcaps...its your choice. The only problem with it is that if you are not careful, you can snap the filament inside the PC -- usually be twisting the pins. Twisting pins is fairly rare thought, but just be careful. Also...make sure you use connectors,wiring and insulation designed for at least 600V/1A operation and 90C deg -- otherwise it is an electrical hazzard.

BTW, what's the spacing pitch between the pins ?

- Victor.

StirCrazy
03-07-2002, 10:29 PM
I am not sure on the spacing but I can measure it later on. they are in the [::] arangement which seam to be the most commen type of bulb around. I thought about using the pushons as I saw it done on a DIY but I was not sure if that is the way I would go.. to me it would have to be a snug fit to be anygood and like you said there is a risk of dammaging the pins.

when you came up with a 600V 1A rating to be safe, how did you arive at that? I have been trying to think of how much redundency to put into a componant. I would think for a normal floresent wire componant anything that is capable of 300V 10A would be plenty as that gives the part a rating of 3000 Watt, where the 600V 1A is only a 600 Watt rating (am I on the right track here?)

Steve

reefburnaby
03-08-2002, 01:16 AM
Hi,

600V 1A....well, PCs are around 500mA to 600mA of lamp current...so that's where I get that from - it is also average current. Obviously, if it was a VHO...than a 1.5 or 2 A wire/socket is required.

600V rating comes from the strike voltage the is usually required for the lamp to start. I am not sure what kind of a ballast you are using, so I am assuming the worst (instant start) which has a ~600V strike voltage with a four foot lamp.

- Victor.