PDA

View Full Version : calcium reactor DIY question

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-05-2002, 12:20 AM
:confused:
i have a 4inch OD acrilic tube with 1/8inch wall.
i cant seem to find any fittings for it.PVC fittings are either too small or big.
is there anything else,can anyone help me,who built one. :confused: :confused:

DJ88
03-05-2002, 12:32 AM
Eli,

You will have to make the flanges and such for the most part. At least I did. In the states you can get CPVC which fits acrylic tubing. PVC doesn't. You can't get CPVC here tho. The sad part.

If you need more specific help ask away. There are several of us here who build various acrylic abonomations we like to call Ca reactors.. :D

Aquattro
03-05-2002, 02:12 AM
Eli, if you have access to a router, they're (flanges) pretty easy to make.

Gordoe
03-05-2002, 07:36 PM
what kind of glue are you using on the acrylic. I bought some methyl something. Tried using a syringe and it ate the plastic. Looking for manufacturer and place to buy, or maybe just suggestions on what to use to apply...

thanks
Gord

Seaquest
03-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Hi

Don't use resin bond copounds, use Weld On #40 this is the same stuff used to make all acrylic aquariums. The methyl/resin bond product is not strong enough for pressure and may leak over time, its use is mainly for store fixture use.

SuperFudge
03-06-2002, 01:22 AM
I have some 4" aswell,but i think its 4 1/4" outside and 4" inside.
If yours is like this aswell you can use 4" pvc (cleanouts?) it is slightly smaller than the outside diam of the pvc,but the acrylic can be sanded down somewhat on the portion you wish to slip on.
I have built two reactors with no problems with this method.
Methylyne chloride is the stuff you want,provided your cuts are somewhat accurate.
If not,you may use weld on 16...it is the same thing but more a gel,to use to fill small gaps.

FWIW,on both reactors i have used regular weld on pvc glue,to use to glue acrylic to pvc.It will work but is not as fast to dry.
acrylic to acrylic i would stick with meythlyn chloride.

Hope she works for ya,Marc.