PDA

View Full Version : Aqua-Safe Advice

Matt
09-14-2005, 02:16 AM
I've been discussing purchase of an Aqua-Safe RO+DI unit. I'm torn between the unit with and without the pressurized tank.

On the tank-included model, it seems that you'd have a small resevoir of water for drinking water and making tea, but it seems it would be harder to get the 5-gallon pails full for water changes.

Anyone with practical advice or tips? The price difference is NOT the determining factor.

Regards,
Matthew

martym
09-14-2005, 02:26 AM
If you have a water cooler already, go without the resevior, and just use the jug from the water cooler for your drinking/cooking water. Thats what I do.

outtafocus
09-14-2005, 03:32 AM
The tank is only a small amount of cash extra. In my opinion, why wouldnt you get the tank?
Its nice because you dont have to wait for ever for it to make 5gallons because it is already storing 5gals for you.
I have the tank and I love it.

crusty1
09-14-2005, 03:48 AM
I have te Aqua Safe unit with pressure tank. I found you would get a couple of gallons everytime the system is charged. Without the tank you would have to wait a while to fill a pail, and if you remeber to turn it off is another story. I have made so many floods in my basement filling jugs and forgetting about it, and this is with the pressure tank. I ended up ordering 2 more pressure tanks from aqua safe to make sure I will have close to 10 gallons anytime I need it.
I am also building an electrical auto top off with a solenoid to hold back water pressure and prevent leak by, common with other auto top off devices....
Also, the ultra pure water from DI is too pure to be drinking water. I am guilty as I use it right now too, however the "ultra-pure" water will actually absorb minerals from your body when consumed. I will fix this by seperating the DI unit from the RO unit and plumb my drinking water line directly from the RO. Another issue with the Aqua Safe DI unit is that water flow channels and I notice that the DI resin does not change color evenly. This will waste resin, and you will be throwing it out prematurely(expensive stuff). I am going to fix this by mounting the unit vertically so the water will flow from bottom to top like other "Lab Grade" DI units.
I still wouldn't hesitate buying the Aqua-Safe unit. It is still the best buy out there, I just think there are some improvements in upgrades that can be made.
Sorry about the book, and I hope this helps.
JMO

Veng68
09-14-2005, 04:15 AM
also you can get a "premeate-pump" which will:

* Add to any drinking water system or kit
* Conserves water - reduces waste water use by 80% compared to a conventional RO system
* Fills product tank up to 2 times faster
* Doubles pre-filter life
* Improves water quality
* Increases membrane life
* No electricity required

Cheers,
Aquaman

crusty1
09-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I got that too. I blew one up already (2 months). If this one blows up i am going to get the booster pump. Or does anyone run both?

mr_alberta
09-14-2005, 03:03 PM
A permeate pump and a booster pump do different things so I wouldn't see a problem with using both. A booster pump increases the water pressure going into your RO unit whereas a permeate pump goes after your RO membrane on your waste water line and recycles some of the waste water back through the RO membrane.

SJSobczyk
09-14-2005, 03:24 PM
The tank is the way to go. I couldnt stand sitting there and waiting 10 mins for my glass to fill with water. With the tank it is already storing it for me. Definitly a bonus if you are using it for drinking water and fish tanks!

Steve

Psyire
09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Drinking RO/DI water is fine, a lot of bottled water in the store is DI water. You would only have to be worried if it was the only thing you drank/ate. (In which case you would have more serious problems to worry about)

Dabbler
09-14-2005, 06:10 PM
I have 3 pressure tanks also :cool: When I am dooing my water changes I am doing at least 25 gal at a time and if I have stored 7-8 gal in tanks it takes less time to get the water. You also have the water for those time you forgot to top up your tank (this never happens) or an emergency water change. For the extra bucks, I would get the tank

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree. The tank takes up extra space but it is nice to have that extra reservoir. I usually use the water to top up & for the kettle. What I do is fill it up at night & it shuts off after the tank is full.

Anthony

Matt
09-14-2005, 07:09 PM
A tank-equipped model it is, then. Thanks for the advice, all.

Matthew

SJSobczyk
09-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Drinking RO/DI water is fine, a lot of bottled water in the store is DI water. You would only have to be worried if it was the only thing you drank/ate. (In which case you would have more serious problems to worry about)

Wait whats the problem with drinking RO/DI? Isnt the main purpose of these units for drinking water?

Thanks

Steve

Veng68
09-14-2005, 09:00 PM
4 gallons......... you call that a tank............ now this is a tank http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/RODI/water_storage_tanks.html :lol:

Cheers,
Vic[veng68]

crusty1
09-15-2005, 09:13 PM

Wait whats the problem with drinking RO/DI? Isnt the main purpose of these units for drinking water?

Thanks

Steve
I learned about this in an RO seminar for industrial water conditioning a couple of years ago. I can't explain it very well so I did some looking. Take it all with a grain of salt. http://www.waterionizer.org/site/898596/page/463876
I work in a boiler room that gets pretty hot in the summer, have you ever noticed that when you are hot and drink a lot of bottled water it never satisfies your thirst? I do, and now I make sure I mix the bottled water with a little gatorade. It makes a huge difference.
Is this bad for your fish? No, you cleaned all the gunk out with your RO/DI unit and replaced it with the salt mix, making ideal sea water for your tank!
There is a whole lot more to it with the chemistry and biology aspect I am no expert in either of these fields so I'll leave it up to you to decide! :smile: