PDA

View Full Version : DIY metal stand

Canadaboy
02-27-2002, 12:25 AM
I am able to get 1"x2"(1/8" wall) tubing from work for free and was wondering if that would be able to support a 125gal tank with NO center bracing in the middle to allow me full access to sump,pump,etc.Any of u guys ever try this?

If it helps at all the grade of the steel is 44W

pocilipora
02-27-2002, 01:30 AM
Where would you be putting the legs, because you want to spread the weight evenly over the length of the stand so it doesent bow. Ive made a few stands using 2inch square tube, the largest being for a 108gal 6foot long tank.

StirCrazy
02-27-2002, 01:46 AM
I have been thinking about this and I even asked my dad about it (he is a wielding contractor) and we both think it would be better off to have a center leg. that is a log span to go with out a center support.. it might work but....
I was going to do the same thing with my stand but I ended up putting a center in.. just in case and made it so I could slide my sump in throught the end.

Steve

pocilipora
02-27-2002, 02:04 AM
You would be better off going with aluminum, the metal stand will rust and stain your carpet over time.IM a welder/fabricator, not my dad.lol

StirCrazy
02-27-2002, 02:11 AM
hehe I spent all that time getting my welding ticket.. used it for 1 year and decided I didn't want to do that for a living.. so I only weld for fun now LOL.. (it was something about welding hand holds 100 feet in the air in 32 degree heat, then doing the same thin 6 months later at - 32 degree cold images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) broke my dad's heart but he got over it ....

Steve

Reefmaster
02-27-2002, 01:17 PM
hi canadaboy
fyi, 44w is considered a "structural quality steel" which conforms to CSA G40.21-87 (use for cranes, steel frame structures eg aircraft hangars, warehouses, highrises etc.) see web page (http://http://www.steeltubeinstitute.org/index.html)

my opinion is that it would be fine for what you are wanting if designed correctly. my expertise is not in structural steel design so it would be inappropriate for me to design it, however, given that you get the stuff for free and if it were my stand i was building i would do it but not just a simple post and beam design. consider running several rails on the long span, and possibly torsion members (ie 45 degree bars from top to sides).

i could provide more info if you have the strenght properties of the tube - the supplier can give you this if your company doesn't already have it. an ex. of what you need is below (from A-36 low-carbon steel).

fwiw, powder coating is really cheap and provides a superior long lasting finish if done well.

shane

Mechanical Properties Metric English Comments

Tensile Strength, Ultimate 400 MPa 58000 psi
Tensile Strength, Yield 315 MPa 45700 psi
Elongation @ break 23 % 23 %
Bulk Modulus 140 GPa 20300 ksi Typical for steel
Shear Modulus 80 GPa 11600 ksi Typical for steel