PDA

View Full Version : algae

scub steve
09-13-2005, 12:44 AM
im having some trouble with my new tank i just set it up and about 2 weeks later i have a copper color looking algae growing on my sand i do not have a protien skimmer as i dont live anywere close that sells them and im kinda broke right now. i have a 92 gal tank with a 150 watt metal halide on it and a 96 watt power compact it has a sump and i have a fluval 304 on it too with a few powerheads and a mag 12 for flow what am i doing wrong my ammonia is up but all other levels are fine

vanreefer
09-13-2005, 01:29 AM
classic new tank algae... it would be very benificial to get a protien skimmer though

reeferaddict
09-13-2005, 01:50 AM
Part of the cycling process - called diatoms. Once all the silicates are used up in your water they will cease to bloom. Astrea snails are a good control for them. If your water, (either make up or change water), is high in silicates you may experience future blooms. RO/DI water will help keep this in check. Skimmers help with nitrate export and therefore wouldn't help much with diatoms, but definitely get one before you add bioload to your tank or you will get hair algae and blue, green, or red cyanobacteria which thrives on nitrates and phosphates. Get snails, be patient, and the brown diatoms will clear themselves up, but DO get a skimmer... :mrgreen:

Happy reefing!

mark
09-13-2005, 02:04 AM
Try increasing flow over sand with your power heads.

Dabbler
09-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Geeezzz I was just in and out of Grand Cashe 4 times in the last month I could have brought up a prism skimmer I have just lying around :cry: