PDA

View Full Version : test strips?

demon666
09-13-2005, 12:40 AM
not really a product review more of a quiestion............ is there calcium test strips in stead of the liquid test kits?

demon666
09-13-2005, 12:41 AM
oh and ph strips? and where can they b found?

reeferaddict
09-13-2005, 01:53 AM
Never heard of Calcium test strips... for pH I would get a meter... handheld or otherwise, Pinpoint makes the best one. More costly but a significant savings in the long run, and test strips are notoriously inaccurate anyways...

Just my two bits...

demon666
09-13-2005, 01:54 AM
ok folks i answered my own quiestion............ wooohooo for me first time for everything. i would like to do a comparison with someone on the acurassy of these things. seeing as i have ran out of my test solution the other day when i tested my tank. any takers in and around edmonton? how about u ed?????? up for a science experament?

demon666
09-13-2005, 01:55 AM
see we use test strips on the rigs and they seem pretty acurate so i was just wondering.

EmilyB
09-13-2005, 04:32 AM
There are some test strips in the hobby that are actually very accurate, also very expensive. Which ones are you talking about?

Ruth
09-13-2005, 04:36 AM
I have compared the test strips to the salifert test and the ones in the aquarium hobby are not very accurate. I tried test strips to test for nitrites - which I knew I had none of - and nitrates - which I was pretty sure I had. The test strips showed I had none of either and the salifert test confirmed I had no nitrites but showed I had 20ppms of nitrates. The ones you use on the rigs if I am not mistaken also get put into a special reader thingy that further reacts with the chemicals in the test strip. They are held up to a much higher standard as they measure some pretty lethal chemicals and gases like H2S and I can't remember what else (and I just renewed my H2S ticket a couple of months ago but it's late and I don't feel like going and getting my book)

EmilyB
09-13-2005, 04:48 AM
I'd be looking at the European test strips....this thread is a bit old

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aquaria.marine.reefs/browse_thread/thread/f7acb98c107e4afc/63ee2b60e5dfafa2?q=test+strips&rnum=3&hl=en#63ee2b60e5dfafa2