PDA

View Full Version : Fish Trap

TNTCanada
09-12-2005, 10:42 PM
So I made a fish trap to catch one of my fish as I need to add some pepermint shrimp as I have an out break of aptasia. So far I have caught three of my Chromis my Tomaote clown and my Hippo Tang no idea how he made it through the hole but he did. Still can't catch the one I want. He is a dotty back any ideas.

Cheers
Tyler

Xtasia
09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm tearing out the rocks tonight to get my clown goby out.. so I'm no help :D.

TNTCanada
09-13-2005, 02:20 AM
I hope it dosn't have to come to that

Xtasia
09-13-2005, 04:44 PM
I have a dottyback in the office tank and it's only 15g with a little bit of rock.. yet I can't imagine trying to catch him with a net or a trap.. you could try the pop bottle trap but these fish are smart and fast. it wuld not take them long to find a way out...

I tore my tank down last night.. had the fish in a glass.. on top of the tank.. then he jumped out of the cup and back into the tank.. I think I have to do it all over again. >.< cry!

TNTCanada
09-13-2005, 10:35 PM
I did make the good old fashion Pop bottle trap he would swim in and straight out. So I made one with a trap door so he has to swim in and grab the bate then the door closes behind him. It works great I have caught everything including crabs still don't know how my hippo made its way inside but caught him to. Caught my Tomatoe clown 3 times now. The only fish I haven't caught is my Sail fin and my Dotty Back.
I guess I will keep on trying.

Cheers
Tyler

Xtasia
09-13-2005, 11:58 PM
An interesting find from Wet web media..

Any idea how to catch it in a 60 gallon aquarium full of corals and rock? Goodbye acros.....sniff

I don't think traps are/would be as effective with these little guys but you can go that route if you have access to one. I caught five of the little devils out of a 375g Acro tank using a version of a "slurp" gun...It won't be easy, but it can be done. I rigged rigid tubing to one end of a ball-valve, flexible tubing to the other end (long enough to reach the sump and provide some mobility to move along the length of the tank), and attached a filter sock to the end of the flex tubing to trap the fish. I started a siphon in the tubing and shut the valve...I then began my stalk...in about an hour I had all five safely bagged (unharmed) and ready for transport to the LFS. The "gun" works surprisingly well. The more drop you have going to the sump (i.e. - more suction) the better it works. What you have to do is creep up on the fish, getting as close as possible with the end of the rigid tubing, and then crank the valve open letting the suction pull in the fish. If the fish dashes in to the rocks, just go in after it with the tubing...though I found stealth and patience to work best. I used 1" diameter tubing and valve (more flow), but I believe 3/4" would do a good job as well.

Xtasia
09-14-2005, 04:19 AM
ok so I went home and tried to fashion a suction fun out of.... 2 large pieces of plastic air line tubing, a plastic cup, 2 elastic bands, gads of tape, a nylon sock, a remote control Xmas light switch, and a power head.... That sooooo didn't work /laughs... (if you want to know.. I can explain my theory on how it would work.. you'd be surprised/amused at how creative I was.. hahaha...)

BUT... I put a new laundy bag (one of those mesh lingerie bags you can buy at the dollar store for $2.)... pulled down.. and an acro lure int he middle....

The goby swam to see the acro, but then got stuck in the mesh when it tried to leave. I zipped up the bag. and VOILA.. I HAVE MY GOBY.. I WIN!!!

/dance dance dance!