PDA

View Full Version : Lighting questions again

DanG
09-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Ok, So I'm determined to upgrade the lighting in my tank. Currently I've got a 16x16x36 tank with a 36" dual PC light setup. I've got a GBTA, some GSP's, some zoos and a decent sized candy cane with 15-20 heads on it. They're happy, but I want them to be happier and thrive.
I want more light and I've been looking at some of the MH setups out there. I'd like an all in 1 setup that has both a MH bulb and 2 or 4 other lights, be it PC or VHO for some actinics. My concern is heat. My appartment gets really hot in the summer, and even with the AC running full blast, it still gets overly warm, and this directly affects my tank temp, currently around 26°c(IIRC). Will a single 175 or 250w MH bulb produce too much heat with extra PC or VHO's?
I also know squat about ballasts, I see PFO, pulse, probe, ext? I've googled and found some sites say one thing, some say the opposite.
I'd love something like this http://www.aquariumlight.com/product_info.asp?dbid=235 , but haven't found that model in canada anywhere, and I'd really like to buy from within canada as I don't want to get hosed with duty and brokerage.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-mh-hdflp.php?product_ID=pfo-hd32v is another one I've been looking at.
Am I looking for too much for a smallish tank? Is 175 or 250W of MH and another 380w of VHO lighting too much? The tank isn't very deep and I don't want to cook anything.
I'm hoping to get a few of the more light hungry softies, some acro's and maybe a clam.

Any input? Stores to checkout? Websites?

Bob I
09-12-2005, 08:06 PM
You might look at the Coralife Aqualight Pro. It is available at J&L. I have one on my 33G cube, and like it very much. :eek:

reeferaddict
09-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I second that.... I have a 48" on my 72 and it is a sweet light. If heat is a concern just buy a suspension kit to go with and you can raise it so that heat isn't a concern, as they do run a little hot. Best thing about them is they're totally plug & play.... and the moonlights are cool too... :mrgreen:

Joe Reefer
09-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Sorry to jack this thread but I have a question for reeferaddict. I am considering the fixture you are using for my 72. Do you find the aqualight too wide for the bow at the ends? and do you have a picture of the setup on your tank?

Thanks

reeferaddict
09-13-2005, 02:49 AM
It IS a little wider at the ends, but I find it fits quite nicely, just don't try it with the mounting legs.

Here's a pic....

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3438&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

IMO this is the PERFECT fixture for a 72 bow.... clams, SPS, LPS.... whatever you want should do just fine with this light... not quite bright enough for the 90, but perfect for this one.

DanG
09-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Would a 150w MH bulb with the 2 65w actinics be enough for acros and clams?

Bob I
09-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Would a 150w MH bulb with the 2 65w actinics be enough for acros and clams?

In a 16" deep tank I would say yes. My tank is 18" deep, and I have only one Acro, which is a blue tipped Staghorn. It colours up , and grows well. The only problem would be the mounting legs. For that you would need a 18" wide tank.

DanG
09-13-2005, 04:18 PM
If the mounting legs are the only problem, then I can look at suspending the lights.
Thanks for the info, I will check it out.