PDA

View Full Version : 125 gal drilled overflows

Canadaboy
02-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Hope some 1 can give me some light on this .........should i get my tank drilled for 1 overflow or get 2 done on either end of the tank?

DJ88
02-18-2002, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the board! images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I think it will depend on how much flow you want to have go through your tank and sump. What are your plans for a return pump(s)? Two flows will divide and lessen the amount flowing through each one but you do end up with two overflow boxes and twice the plumbing inside the stand.

A good bet is figure out what you want to run for flow through your sump with return pumps and then decide. You may feel that you don't want a high flow sump and have something like a recirculation system where the water circulating is not going into the sump.

Just a few tidbits for thought. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[ 18 February 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]</p>

Reefmaster
02-18-2002, 03:54 PM
hi canada boy.
a tank that size i would definately have drilled twice. you then have the option of not using one if you decided, but i can't imagine our 135g with only 1 overflow. its a real comfort knowing if one gets restricted the other will keep the floor dry! images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
just another opinion though. images/smiles/icon_redface.gif )
shane

Canadaboy
02-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys,I plan on setting it up with a DSB and LR with the biggest sump I can fit under the tank(50 gal or so).As for a return pump I was thinking of going with a Mag 12 or Little Giant 4MDQX-SC(I'm hopping for 10x turnover).Recommand either or another pump?.Also I am having trouble deciding on a skimmer,I have it narrowed down to either a Berlin Turbo or an AquaC EV-180.
Thanks again.

Reefmaster
02-18-2002, 05:34 PM
we have a LG and although i like it, it has quite a loud hum that many people don't like. depends on where it goes i guess, if its under your stand in the living room your spouse may be unhappy if she can';t hear the tv! jk.
also note, it needs to be oiled a couple times a year. ous has been running full time for 2 1/2 yrs with no trouble though.
shane

DJ88
02-18-2002, 06:15 PM
Canadaboy,

I don't know how into trying out semi-new ideas you are but, here is why I made my post as I did.

I am seeing more and more tanks coming along with only a limited flow going through the sump and turning it into a more low flow refugium/sump. Flow rate is enough to satisfy the skimmers needs of say 3-4x's turnover rate per hour. To compensate for the loss of circulation in the main tank due to a large return pump, a closed loop system is being used with one massive pump. In most cases pumps such as one or two ampmaster3000's on tanks as small as 100 gallons. images/smiles/icon_eek.gif I am doing something like this on my 45 but at this moment will be using a MAG18 as my return T'ed off into two 1 1/2 inch PVC returns. My closed loop will be two individually plumbed MAG7's into my sea swirl and a 1 1/2 inch PVC outlet.

Just some food for thought.

StirCrazy
02-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Canadaboy
a Magdrive 12 will not give you 10x turn over as it will only pump 1200 gph @ 0 head.. if you use a sump and returns you can count on at least 5 feet of head which will knock the out put down to 900 gph. a Mag 18 or even 24 would probably be a better choice IMO.

Steve

terryp01
02-18-2002, 10:54 PM
I agree with Shane (Reefmaster) on the pump. Little Giants make too much noise.

I would recommend any of the following:

Iwaki MD-55. Gives good flow rates and can also be used to run a skimmer at the same time. If you really want some water movement get a 70 and run all of your equipment with this. (http://www.iwakiwalchem.com/)

CSL T4 - nice quite pump and gives about 1200 gph at a 3' head. I run a T4 on my 180 and cycle a T3 to create the wave motion.

MAK are good pumps as well.

I am sure there are many others on the market but these are what I recommend and use on my own tanks.

One thing I would suggest if you are drilling your tank is to visit this guys site and click on the Standpipe link. (http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm). I have a somewhat modified version of this and it makes all the difference in the world on lessening the water sound.

Good luck (and drill the tank).

Canadaboy
02-19-2002, 06:35 PM
Damn I forgot to ask what size holes I am going to need drilled for a 10x turnover.

Thanks

Reefmaster
02-19-2002, 06:51 PM
we went with 1.5" and am happy with it. i don't think 2" is necessary with 2 overflows, and you might get away with 1.25", but i wouldn't want to go with 1". not enough factor of safety for me.
shane

Mugster
02-20-2002, 11:13 PM
Canadaboy, my 180 is drilled at both ends with dual overflows. My overflow is 1.5" and the return is 1". I'm currently using the Mag12 for my return but I am seriously considering moving up to a more powerful model. The return pressure is sufficient for now but greater return flow pressure would be better. My sump is a 55 gal long which sits under the tank in the stand quite nicely. Hope this helps. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif