PDA

View Full Version : More proof that Google is the Matrix

Delphinus
09-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Or perhaps powered by alien technology....

Google Suggest: http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

OCDP
09-07-2005, 05:03 PM
wow that is pretty amazing.

thanks for sharing.

Johnny Reefer
09-07-2005, 05:52 PM
What's pretty amazing?

I just get the Google Search home page. :confused:

Cheers,

Delphinus
09-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Did you try to type something in?

Johnny Reefer
09-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Did you try to type something in?

No.
I thought you were providing a direct link to whatever it is you want us to see.
Call me stupid, I guess.
What are we suppose to type in?
Matrix? Google Suggest? Alien? :confused:

Thanx much,

Johnny Reefer
09-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Oh....I get it now.
Google "Suggest". It's an automatic drop down field.
Okay. Thanx.

Delphinus
09-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Sorry -- maybe as a geek this impresses me more than it would other non-geeky types. I just found it impressive that if, say, I entered "Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis", it's guessed at what I'm probably going to type in by the time I've hit the 3rd or 4th letter. Obviously the technology isn't that earth shattering, i.e., google keeps a record of all the things people search on, and thus can offer suggestions as you start typing. However, when you think about all the different things that could be searched on, by all the different people who use google ..... that's, ah, rather a lot of text strings to store. I guess it illustrates how much technology has become more and more accessible over the last few years, the cost of memory and storage media having fallen so dramatically. I can think back to a time when I bought a 1 Gb hard drive, I spent over $1500 on it, an entire summer job's earnings essentially -- and I was mocked by friends and family alike, because "who would ever need so much disk space." I can think of a time before that, when Bill Gates himself said "640k ought to be enough for anybody." 640K! (Ok, I was a wee lad when he said that ... but the point is, I remember it. :biggrin: ) I'm sure someone has invented a... a paper clip nowadays that has more memory than that.

The Matrix reference was just -- again probably just something a hard core geek might pick up on -- that reality is just an illusion. Or "alien technology" -- another obscure reference -- ie., aliens landed and are sharing their far superior technology to some folks. Ok maybe that was a bit of a stretch, but basically, whenever you see some new whiz-bang technology that seems ahead of its time, you hear the expression "it must be alien technology." :lol:

Chad
09-07-2005, 11:07 PM
I think its cool :)

scotchy
09-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Wake up Delphinus. The matrix has you. Follow the white rabbit.

Scott

Invigor
09-08-2005, 12:48 AM
... a paper clip nowadays that has more memory than that.

I haven't seen one of those yet, but the Ipod shuffle is 1gb and the size of a few wrigley's spearment sticks.

Johnny Reefer
09-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Hey Tony,

I didn't mean to sound like you ought not be impressed by it, and sorry if I came off that way.
To be honest, I don't find it amazing, but it is pretty cool. Particularly after you explained some of it, as I really didn't play with it once I realized what it was.
No, I'm not a computer geek, but I can be pretty geeky in other ways. For instance, I'm a pretty damn good speller, most of the time, so I usually don't need a computer to tell me how to spell. I think this would account for my lack of interest in this technology.
It's also so easy to take alot of it for granted. But when I think about it, I can't image going back to the days when one actually had to get up to change the TV channel! :lol:

Cheers,