PDA

View Full Version : Chemi-Clean

Chin_Lee
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Has anybody used this product? I was just wondering what it is and its only 2 grams that treats 300 g.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/additives.php?
product_ID=bd-cclean

muck
09-07-2005, 02:19 PM
link not working..

I think the url tags are not around the whole address. :confused:

christyf5
09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/additives.php?product_ID=bd-cclean

OceanAquatics
09-08-2005, 06:38 AM
Hello Chin,
It works great at getting rid of Red Slime algae. It's reef safe and treats 300 gallons for a very reasonable price. I used it for years when I did aquarium maintenance.

One thing to mention.
If you don't get rid of the original source/cause of the Algae problem, it will eventually comes back.
https://www.oceanaquatics.com/view_product.php?product=CHEEIQI012

Johnny Reefer
03-06-2006, 04:31 AM
Hello Chin,
It works great at getting rid of Red Slime algae. It's reef safe and treats 300 gallons for a very reasonable price. I used it for years when I did aquarium maintenance.

One thing to mention.
If you don't get rid of the original source/cause of the Algae problem, it will eventually comes back.

How long before you would have to use it again?
In other words....how soon would it start to come back?

Thanx much and cheers:smile:,

medican
03-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Yes....

Its good for getting rid of that bad stuff but you are not getting rid of the source and/or the cause of it. It is hard to say when it will return (if ever) I have had streaches as long as 8-10 months before redosing. Think of it like this........

It will give you a little break until you can get rid of the cause.

Bob I
03-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I used it, and the problem never returned. In my experience Cyano is a problem that occurs more commonly in newer tanks. It seems that whatever it lives on goes away in time. Some people insist that it is phosphates that cause the problem, but there is really no supportable evidence of that.

Chad
03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I used to use it all the time in my 20gal. Then I went to my 50gal BB and have never had it again. I believe mine was caused by a staturated sandbed.

HimSelf
03-06-2006, 05:42 PM
That stuff works great. The only thing is it says leave it for 2 days but for me some times it takes 3 days to realy see it start to work. So don't give up when day 2 comes around.

Cheers

Johnny Reefer
09-10-2006, 05:53 AM
I've been battling cyano since February. I must have done 4 treatments with this stuff since then. The last treatment was just last week. I did 3 doses this time, instead of the recommended 2, and used 20 spoons worth for each dose (180g tank with 33g sump. Probably about 160g net, i figure). Last dose was Saturday. 20% water change, fresh carbon back online and skimmer (for what that POS is worth) back online on Monday. Today!......only 5 days later!!....there I see a new patch about the size of a looney on the sand bed!!!! Sheesh. I realize this stuff is not an end all cure but sheesh!!! 5 lousy days?!!! I am getting sooooo sick and tired of this. Can't wait to move and get an RO/DI system going.....and a better skimmer. Hopefully the move won't make it too much of a new tank, yet again.
Anyway, I'm not impressed with this Chemi Clean crap. It gets rid of it, but not for long, IME.

Cheers:smile:,

Chin_Lee
09-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Mark
if it did get rid of it, then it has worked. I don't believe it claims to free your tank of cyano forever - does it?
If your tank's parameters continue to be a suitable environment for cyano, its inevitable that it will return.

It would seem that you are aware that an RO/DI unit and a better skimmer may improve your tank's parameters however your inability to improve it presently should not be a factor in which we should "get rid" of this product.

I've been battling cyano since February. I must have done 4 treatments with this stuff since then. The last treatment was just last week. I did 3 doses this time, instead of the recommended 2, and used 20 spoons worth for each dose (180g tank with 33g sump. Probably about 160g net, i figure). Last dose was Saturday. 20% water change, fresh carbon back online and skimmer (for what that POS is worth) back online on Monday. Today!......only 5 days later!!....there I see a new patch about the size of a looney on the sand bed!!!! Sheesh. I realize this stuff is not an end all cure but sheesh!!! 5 lousy days?!!! I am getting sooooo sick and tired of this. Can't wait to move and get an RO/DI system going.....and a better skimmer. Hopefully the move won't make it too much of a new tank, yet again.
Anyway, I'm not impressed with this Chemi Clean crap. It gets rid of it, but not for long, IME.

Johnny Reefer
09-10-2006, 03:46 PM

Cheers:smile:, Thanx for your input, Chin. Yes, it does work and I shouldn't be so quick to call it crap because it did work in eradicating the cyano in my FOWLR. I haven't seen any cyano in that tank since the first (and only) treatment. I'm just soooo frustrated with my Reeftank cyano and was too focused on that during my little rant above. It's ongoing. What's weird too, is that the parameters on my reeftank are consistently better than my FOWLR so I woulda thought that it'd be the FOWLR that would be a problem, not the reeftank.
Anyhoo, upgrades to RO/DI, better skimming, and a refugium are pending soon (I hope).