PDA

View Full Version : whare in town should I take my tanks to get them drilled

StirCrazy
02-14-2002, 01:03 AM
ok the topic says it all.. whare would the best place in town be to have my 25 gal and my 33 gal tanks drilled?

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
02-14-2002, 01:28 AM
If your tanks are mass production tanks they are a real pain to drill and you can get it done but I dont recommend it. What I do recommend is getting some 1/8" thickness poly vinyl sheet and using about a 4"x4" or whatever size piece, cut a hole the size you want the hole in your tank to be and then masking tape or duct tape or glue it in place and then take your tank to any local shop that has a bead blast or sand blast unit and get them to bead blast a hole through the glass, the poly vinyl will protect the area around the hole and you will be left with a nice clean hole that has smooth edges that wont be prone to chipping and cracking. This is my favorite method of putting holes into pre made tanks and the only way to "drill" tempered tanks.

Canadian
02-14-2002, 01:44 AM
The Glass Smith (on Tennyson sp.?) or Seastar. Neither of them will guarantee the work they do, but I've had both of them drill tanks and never had a problem. The only problem with Glass Smith is that he doesn't have much in the way of variety of diamond bits so sometimes it's hard to size up a bulkhead with his hole size -- then you have to go to Seastar. I was buddy-buddy with the guys at Seastar so I'd just show up with my tank, but you're supposed to arrange that kind of stuff through your LFS.

Silverfish
02-14-2002, 02:29 AM
Ditto on the Glass Smith, I have had two tanks drilled by him with no problems, but he will tell you if it breaks it's on you.

Aquattro
02-14-2002, 03:52 AM
The Glass Smith is a place I recommend, although the last time I was there, he cracked my 29g. Wasn't surprised. He did end up drilling a new piece of glass that I put in and I think he charged me 10 or 15 bucks including the hole.

Reefmaster
02-14-2002, 04:17 AM
andy
"buddy-buddy with seastar" sounds like past tense? it seems a few people have had that same experience. shane

[ 14 February 2002: Message edited by: Reefmaster ]</p>