PDA

View Full Version : I'm in Nanaimo!!!! Now What??

HimSelf
09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I moved to Nanaimo :biggrin: Now what? :confused:

My Fish tank doesn't have anything. The guy told me I can put a few pladies in to my salt water tank :exclaim:

Do I have to start buying fish from Pet Cetra :eek:

How many salt water guys are here in Nanaimo?

With out a LFS I have to build a net work fast. Can you help?

Cheers

IslandReefer
09-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Greetings and welcome to the Island, Him :smile:
In Naniamo the is one very little LFS, My Fish Closet, or something like that..that has a little from time to time.
Don't forget that Christy lives there (and a couple more good reefers ie Gerald), is a super person with an excellent reefing addiction :smile: ....she should be able to give you the skinny on the local scene.
In my humble opinion there is one LFS on the Island, "Safarii Pets" in Victoria, with 2 maybe three other shops that may have stuff from time to time. Number two is a new store in Duncan called Island Pet Zone, new and growing ,but the pricing is good and "Steve" (?) is a nice guy, but very limited selection .(He does buy frags though :mrgreen: )
Next, for me is: Cora's...Hillside Pets....good stuff but it is buyer beware...she will sell you anything....cruel but if your careful you can do well..(probably the only true competition to Japarto @ Safarii).....lastly there is Creatures, in Victoria, they recently moved and I'm hoping for improvement in there salt water stuff :rolleyes
You are also welcome to stop by here and have a chat and a look, If you like...I am working on my new system...195+90+100 and I know a few of the guys in Victoria (one hour by car).
Cheers and Goooood Reeefing
PS: What should we call ya?...I only know one "Him" and he is the way :razz: :razz:

Scavenger
09-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Welcome to our little chunk of the Island Himself!!
There really isn't much in saltwater or reefing supplies in Nanaimo. Mind you Duncan and Victoria have shops with SW supplies and they aren't that much of a drive.

I only know of 3 active reefers in town. (myself included in that number) :rolleyes:
There are Canreef members not too far up or down the island, but I'll let all the island folk introduce themselves, rather than naming names. I'd hate to be called a tattle tale LOL!!!! :lol:

Don't forget that Christy lives there (and a couple more good reefers ie Gerald), is a super person with an excellent reefing addiction ....she should be able to give you the skinny on the local scene.

Gee whiz John, now I feel left out :cry: :confused: :frown: :evil: :rolleyes: :smile: :razz: :lol:

HimSelf
09-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks every one for your warm welcome. When I have some time I have to go around and see every one's tank.

Sorry I missed your BBQ there Scavenger. I was hopping to meet some Island reefer in person. I will be going back to Vancouver this weekend with the car so if anyone need any thing just let me know.

Cheers :biggrin:

HimSelf
09-05-2005, 11:28 PM
P.S: Wow IslandReefer it sounds like you have more water in your house then a public swimming pool :biggrin:

martym
09-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Get back on the boat and get back over to the mainland ASAP!! :BIG: Just kidding.

IslandReefer
09-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Sorry,didn't mean to leave you out :smile: ...of course Him should hook up with you, Ken (BBQ king) ...and Gerald...and all us in Victoria, Mill Bay, Campbell River........ toooo.
As for the "swimming pool"....it gets salt today as soon as the temp comes up a bit...I can hardly wait to put stuff in it :mrgreen:
Its not really that big all the parts just add up, tank + grow out/refugium + sump.....I think Chin Lee has a 300gal sump hooked to his 6 footer so I'm not the biggest in the block :smile: :cool: but plenty for lil Ol' me :smile:

reeferaddict
09-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Here's the Mill Bay guy... drop me a message when ya wanna come by... lights are on 2 - 10...

While I support all 3.. (Safari, Hillside, IPZ...), I'm partial to Scott as he's close & cool... :cool: but you're turning your back on mainland LFS to shop here??? :eek: Don't get me wrong... for where we are, I like everybody over here... :smile:

HimSelf
09-06-2005, 04:59 AM
With the LFS action looks like I have to some how get my girl friend to send things over.

I don't know if the girl friend will come through :confused:

Chaloupa
09-07-2005, 05:42 AM
and a quick drive to Campbell River to check out the local "supplier" here...(sounds all illegal and stuff hee hee)...no really we have a really good mom and pop type SW business here that is definately worth coming to C.R. to see and chat with...they will get in stuff by request and it is TOP OF THE LINE QUALITY!!!!.....other than that I shop Safari and Hillside in Victoria...don't waste your time going to My Fish Tank in Nanaimo...they are not worth your time of day! Welcome to the Island!