PDA

View Full Version : Custom Aquaria -- Advice and References requested

Matt
09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
In downtown Edmonton, a friend is considering a custom reef aquarium, builtin to an existing cabinet in his office. Dimensions of the desired aquarium are roughly 56"L x 28"H x 18"W. My thumbnail calculations say this is ~100+gallons. He'll also need a frame retrofitted into the cabinets to support the weight, and a sump fitted into the cabinets below. The initial discussions also call for an RO/DI unit and a water change mixing tank in an adjacent cabinet (hidden). The cabinetry is already plumbed with water and power (a wet bar, essentially).

Anyone want to recommend where to go for the pieces of this? Vendors may feel welcome to reply, but I'm really looking for references. Vancouver isn't too far to go for the parts, and he's willing to do some of the general contracting himself, so it doesn't have to be an all-in-one service.

All advice and all references are welcome!

Regards,
Matthew

mark
09-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Qwiksilver (Edmonton) is selling a 120g, might fit.

To order a custom tank go to Bow Valley Aquariums in Calgary, or order one of theirs through AI, locally.

Got my ro/di with tank from Aquasafe, cost was $197, delivered.

Johnny Reefer
09-06-2005, 04:12 AM
Dimensions of the desired aquarium are roughly 56"L x 28"H x 18"W. My thumbnail calculations say this is ~100+gallons.

122g.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/volcalc.html

Cheers,

Troy F
09-06-2005, 04:19 AM
What is the exsisting cabinet made of? I'd be really careful if it's MDF and or particle board.

Van down by the river
09-06-2005, 08:32 AM
If you do go with a maintenance company,
or aquarium shop for that matter,
check their references and portfolio.

Not only can they deliver on time and in budget, but does their design and installation work function in the long term.

Over the years I've seen MANYcustom aquarium design and maintenance companies I wouldn't trust to set-up and clean a goldfish bowl.

Poor tank design, inflated prices, inadequate equipment,outdated technology/equipment, beautiful aquarium portfolios that weren't theirs. Yes, they took pictures of tanks they neither built or could build and pass them off as their own work.
I can't wait for the day when there is a "Holmes on Homes" for the aquarium industry, 90% of the Maintenance/design companies would be running scared! Don't assume because they are in the business, that they do good work.

So how do you find a good company?

1. Have an clear idea what you want to keep in the display - This should keep the system designs similar which will make comparing quotes easier.

2. Have a realistic budget in mind- You get what you pay for, you will never get a Ferrari for the price of a Volkswagen

3. Ask lots of questions - Sometimes it's good to play dumb to see if they are just telling you what they think you want to hear. (If you want a reef set-up always ask if you can have fish right away or name coral eating species and listen to their answer. If they answer yes to either question, move on to the next company)

4. Check references, Better Business Bureau- Do they even have a business license? Are they insured? Everyone makes mistakes, but if they do will they be around to fix them?

5. If you get off the shelf equipment, make sure you get off the shelf prices - I've seen peoples faces when I tell them their off the shelf aquarium stand and Fluval filter system is not top of the line reef equipment worth thousands of dollars. Not fun.

7. Your tank will look like theirs. If their shop/display doesn't make you go wow, move on.
Don't get your friend's buddy's cousin's boyfriend's neighbour that has a green tank with Oscar's to build it for you, unless you like green smelly Oscar tanks.

As always the biggest company or the lowest bidders usually aren't the best choice.

Bigger companies are the safe bet. They often do an average job, are usually consistent and will have the proper insurance, professionalism and experience required. Usually you pay for it all as well. Most times they give a slightly above average finished product. Usually nothing inspiring or unique, but always functional.

Do not go with the lowest bidder! Usually they are inexperienced and really need/want the job, or they have cut too many corners. What you save now, you will lose three fold down the line (upgrades, lost fish, disappointing display, etc). Many maintenance companies are run by people with little experience.

So how do you find a good company? Get multiple quotes, call their references. If it's a big project, it's worth it to go see some of their past installations. Also be wary of "old timers". People that tell you they have been in the industry (X) years. Often they have gotten in a rut, and been doing things the same way for (X) years. They were the big cheese in 1982 with their Cichlid breeding set-up.......do you really want them designing your reef in 2005?

Matt
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the comments. 122 US gallons. That will be a nice size! I had a private recommendation for "Inter-American" -- anyone have a web address for them?

I'd be really careful if it's MDF or particle board"I would be recommending a steel-tube frame supporting the tanks from the concrete floor. Are you referring to ambient moisture? Would an exhaust fan take care of that, or would other (more radical) mitigations be required?

Troy F
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes, you could try coating everything with a water resistant paint. I once built a hood of MDF and used hp laminate for the exterior and then five or six coats of clear varethane(sp?) and despite no direct contact with water and my best efforts to seal it, the hood swelled badly in areas. I guess I'm just advising caution.

danny zubot
09-06-2005, 06:42 PM
If you want a relly good solid stand built for it try Rob at majestic aquariums in Red Deer. He is a master cabinet maker and will make it look really nice.

Matt
09-06-2005, 07:03 PM
I've seen and appreciated Rob's work in photos here and on his website. The opportunity is to build-in to an existing full-wall closet and wetbar, so if it got to the point of building a new cabinet, I think the project would die. Thanks for the input, though.

Matthew

mark
09-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Bow Valley / Inter-american http://go.to/interamerican

For a base, you might be able build a structure internal to the existing cabinet with 2x4"s.

Matt
09-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the website. Are "bow valley" and "inter american" the same company?

I'm thinking that a tube steel frame is the way to go, to transfer the weight to the floor without relying on the cabinetry at all. Does anyone know who the "go to" guy is for constructing such a frame?

Regards,
Matthew