PDA

View Full Version : what epoxy to use

fishguyxd
09-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Is the a water type epoxy that can be used to glue the LR together and frags to it.
without taking a large piece of rock out of the tank? and where can you get it :confused:

Also are there certain clown fish that like to host and other that do not?

shotzee
09-04-2005, 04:00 PM
As for a good epoxy that bonds well underwater, I still haven't found one (although its not like I have been throwing around cash to try to find one either:).

Clownfish hosting is almost by chance. I know that certain types of clownfish prefer certain types of anemones, but clownfish are even known for taking xenia and even hammer corals as hosts too. Best you can do is find out which type of anemone your clownfish prefer and get one. Even better is to buy a clownfish with its host anemone from a store (although you don't often get the chance to).

shotzee
09-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Here are a few readings that might help more:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282136

mr_alberta
09-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Clownfish will host in whatever they want and whenever they want. I do NOT suggest getting an anemone at this stage in your hobby. Clownfish do not need a host in order to survive and anemones are one of the most difficult animals to keep properly.

Good alternative hosts would be Xenia or Frogspawn as both are a lot more hardy than most anemones.

As for the epoxy, I use the 2 part Marineland stuff you can get from Big Al's in conjuction with a big ol' bottle of crazy glue. Works every time.

fishguyxd
09-04-2005, 06:28 PM
I already have one for a few months and it's been doing fine ,It did try a round with the powerhead and did take a little damage ,but recovered. and powerhead has a different filter on it now I had seen that some clowns vs others host better than others I was just a courious on the topic.
as I seen a recent pic of a couple clowns in the same LTA i have.

I more looking into this underwater epoxy question

but thanks for the info.

fishguyxd
09-06-2005, 01:23 AM
anyone have idea on what type of epoxy to use
lookin for something i can use underwater but not remivingor tearing down all LR.

mr_alberta
09-06-2005, 01:36 AM
As for the epoxy, I use the 2 part Marineland stuff you can get from Big Al's in conjuction with a big ol' bottle of crazy glue. Works every time.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/supplies.php?product_ID=mc-hfast

It dries under water (though it takes longer to do so).

reeferaddict
09-06-2005, 03:34 AM
I don't know why the thinking is still that anemones are hard to keep.. Now that the hobby in general has advanced and we know the requirements for keeping them, the success rate of keeping anemones has skyrocketed. Proper light, water movement, and good biological filtration are pretty much what it takes to keep an anemone alive... they're way more tolerant of nutrients and don't need as much attention to calcium and alk as any stony coral - frogspawn included.

Good common hosts are usually available, there are many colour varieties available of Entacmaea quadricolor or bubble tipped anemone. These are hardy, host a variety of clownfish, and commonly propogate in home systems, mine included. The downside is they tend to wander, sometimes consuming coral patches and in extreme cases as we have read, getting sucked into powerheads and overflows. (This I have NOT experienced, though no doubt my day is due... :mrgreen: ) There are others as well, do a google search and you'll find plenty of reading.

As far as clownfish hosting goes... be patient. I had 2 bubble tips that my maroon clown, (not a good choice for a clownfish - VERY territorial and aggressive!), ignored for close to 2 months. Then one day as he swam by as he had 5000 times before it was if he had an epiphany - he dove straight into one of them, rolling over and around... almost as if enjoying a massage... then straight up out of that one into the other for a repeat performance... that was 3 years ago, and he is seldom very far from an anemone.

More recently I bought a sebae for my 4 Percula clowns. For the first month they never paid it a second look. One had taken up hosting in a giant Hawaiian Feather Duster and the other 3 just swam around for food. Then when I did my tank upgrade I moved everyone into a 75 gallon while I switched tanks and plumbed. As there was no light for a day or two, the anemone was cranky, receeding to a place under the rocks. I actually thought one of the Percs died because he was laying on his side under a rock.. :eek: When I moved the rock, he dove into the anemone's tentacles and was quite PO'd that I would have the gall to disturb his new friend. A few hours later the anemone was out completely, and all four of them were rolling around in it. Now when you look at the tank, there is always at least one clown in it, and after the lights go out, all four of them take refuge in it... ( the anemone has QUADRUPLED in size since the clowns found it at the end of June!) FYI the maroon is in a separate tank...

This symbiotic relationship is the one that propelled me into this hobby - the thought that I could keep that picture in my living room got me started and I think I will always maintain at least one of these pairings. I encourage anyone that wants to do this to do your reading, do your diligence, and go for it. You will be well rewarded for your efforts! :biggrin: