PDA

View Full Version : Tank leaking - stand advice please :)

albert_dao
09-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Okay, so I just noticed that my 72 fowlr is leaking from the overflow box. Big mess all over the floor.

SCORE! Now I have an excuse to get a new tank.

Anyway, does anyone know what kind screws I should be using when contructing a new stand out of 2x4's? Any kind of special cuts in the wood I should be looking at? Or can I just screw it all together in a basic fashion?

Thanks in advance!

Willito
09-03-2005, 01:17 PM
If you're just using 2x4 studs as your main frame, then just use 2.5" #8 robertson wood screws. Don't use drywall screws.

reeferaddict
09-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Zinc plated project screws don't rust... and are actually cheaper coz you can buy in bulk...

albert_dao
09-04-2005, 02:18 AM
Thanks guys!

Also, what kind of paint should I look into? I'm hoping for something that's chip resistant. I'm going to toss a couple layers of varnish over the whole thing regardless.

BT05
09-04-2005, 03:02 AM
Kilz primer is a good choice to seal in moisture, then you can use whatever paint on top. Don't know about any guaraunteed chip-proof paint, but I would say any enamel is a safe bet.

If you just want to varnish/stain the wood (cabinets, canopy etc.), don't use any oil-based products because they are not as durable and may give off fumes for weeks. Instead, use any water-based sealant like varathane.

edit: I mean to say Kilz would keep moisture out, not inside to rot whatever material you are using! I agree, Either paint or varnish only (not both) as mentioned by chin_lee.

Chin_Lee
09-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys!

Also, what kind of paint should I look into? I'm hoping for something that's chip resistant. I'm going to toss a couple layers of varnish over the whole thing regardless.

as far as screws are concern, any wood screws will do if you are not expecting to submerge them into salt water for extended periods of time.

as far as varnish and paint........ not a good idea. its either or. if you varnish or paint, make sure your wood has dried so you don't seal in the moisture (most wood you buy from lumber yard is kiln dried but not thoroughly dried). melamine paint dries to very hard finish and a good choice for stands that is chip resistent.

albert_dao
09-04-2005, 07:35 AM
What about that Granite-looking spray paint I've seen on the shelves at the Home Depot? Does that stuff varnish well?

In the instance that I cannot get coats of varnish over the paint, is there any kind of hard coating I can throw over the paint to seal it against salt spray? Or would melamine on its own be sufficient?

reeferaddict
09-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Wanna know a good paint? General Paint has a water based paint called Enviroguard... it's an external paint, available in gloss or semi gloss, easy to work with and clean up, doesn't stink, and is bulletproof! I've been using it for lots of things for as long as they've made it. The variety of colours isn't that great as it's a high solids paint making it trickier to tint, but you can still get a pretty good range of colours. The beauty part is that it doesn't leave a porous surface, making wiping and cleaning real nice... I use it on anything from wood to plywood to crezone plywood without primer and have had excellent results... pretty cheap too for the coverage.

And no... I don't work at GP... :mrgreen:

albert_dao
09-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Is that available as a spray? Should I be using a primer?

I've been cutting and sanding the wood all afternoon and I've got it all to the point where it feels like plastic. Will the paint stick to that?

Anyway, everything is cut and ready to be assembled. I couldnt find my drill though (didn't look very hard...) so I called it a night.

Tommorow I'm going to screw it all together and apply the wood filler to all the imperfections.

Perhaps some pics will be in order too.

Dabbler
09-04-2005, 06:32 PM
You should always use a primer as this preps the wood for the paint to stick to, and the better you finish the wood before you paint the better your stand will look as the paint will bring out the imperfections on the wood. Look at doing about 3 coats of paint for a good finish, nice and even and not to thick.

albert_dao
09-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Okay, I'm going insane here. Bends in the wood are ruining all my efforts at this. Any advice? I thought I picked out the straightest pieces I could find. Turns out it wasn't good enough.