PDA

View Full Version : Coralline algea going away

Ruth
09-03-2005, 03:08 AM
Until about a month ago I was constantly scraping coralline off my glass. My back wall, powerheads and overflow walls were covered in it. Now it has all turned green or else just gone away - it's hard to scrape but not like coralline that chips off. I am not getting any new growth on my tank walls. I have made 2 changes in my tank in this time. The first was to put my calcium reactor on line and the second was to change my bulbs to Giesemann 13000K (my previous ones were Coralvue 15000K). I still have lots on my live rock and it is not turning green or fading. My water tests at:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5-10
Calcium - 480
Alk. - 3.2 meg/l
Mg. - 1350
Ph - 8.2 - 8.5

Any ideas? Not that I particularly like scraping coralline off my tank walls but I am concerned that soon my rock will go the same route.

Psyire
09-03-2005, 03:16 AM
My guess would be that it's your lighting change.

Coralline is a deep water algae so it typically likes less light and you just went alittle brighter, so it's probably just going through an adjustment phase. I'm sure it'll come back but probably grow in different areas. Coralline adjustment peroids can take several months I believe, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Skimmerking
09-05-2005, 04:12 AM
I cant see that the lights are doing it 13K from 15K May be the tests kits are messed up. Check out maybe checking on gettign a new test kit...

Ruth
09-05-2005, 04:26 AM
My test kits (all Salifert) are all fairly new except the nitrate one. I have a new nitrate test kit (nutrafin - it's all they had at the local shop) and it tests the same as the salifert. Do you think it has to do with bringing the calcium reactor on? Do you think I should dial it back some - less CO2 - less flow? All livestock and corals are doing well - eating well - growing well. It just this darn coralline. I don't really want to go out and replace all my test kits so which one would you suggest I might want to look at that could be contributing to the loss of "the purple stuff"?

Jack
09-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Have you tested for phosphate?

Psyire
09-05-2005, 06:05 AM
The only reason I'd dial back the calcium reactor is if it's causing your tank's pH to be lower than normal. Other than that, the additional calcium would be a good thing. I still think it's your lights, how much of a difference do you notice in your lighting? The difference in PAR between those 2 bulbs you mentioned should be substantial.

IslandReefer
09-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey Ruth ,
If it is the difference in PAR intensity...as the crowd seems to think....look for differences in coralene growth or recession in brightly lit top areas vs the shadows or deeper in the tank.
Good luck

Ruth
09-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes I have tested for phosphate and it is at less than .03 ppm.
My ph is holding steady and that is why I have been reluctant to dial back the reactor.
I have been leaning towards the lighting myself as there is a noticable difference in appearance to the 2 bulbs. The Giesemann has a much more yellow look to the naked eye. I don't have a lux meter or have access to one so can only go by appearance.

Skimmerking
09-05-2005, 01:54 PM
What is your PH at now there Ruth...

mike

Ruth
09-05-2005, 02:06 PM
PH is at 8.2 right now. I am using a Milwaukee monitor but yesterday I also calibrated my pinpoint (also calibrated the Milwaukee) because I wanted to make sure I was getting an accurate reading. Both are reading the same. My lights (PC's) just came on 30 minutes ago.

Invigor
09-05-2005, 06:35 PM
the intensity of the 13000k megachromes would put a stomp on the 15000k coralvue's most definately, no question about it

I have similar issues with coraline not growing when my halides are on. So in turn I've turned off my halides for about 2 weeks now and coraline is taking off like a weed with only VHOs running. I've also been adding baking soda and calcium in quite heavy doses to help it grow.

So in conclusion, Blame the halides :D

Skimmerking
09-05-2005, 07:06 PM
So you are saying that a 13 K is more intense than a 15K bulb.

Invigor
09-05-2005, 07:23 PM
So you are saying that a 13 K is more intense than a 15K bulb.

I do not know the wattage of her bulbs but take a look at these 250w DE bulbs.

Coralvue 20KK

Power(watts): 314
Voltage: 121.3
Current (amps): 2.75
Unshielded PPFD(output): 58.19
Shielded PPFD: 48.35

Giesemann Megachrome 13000k

Power: 336w
Voltage: 122.8V
Current: 2.94A
Unshielded PPFD: 112.9
Shielded PPFD: 87.8

So in a nutshell, the gs megachrome stomps it.

You may notice I compared a 20000k coralvue instead of a 15000k...in most cases the 20000ks have more than the 12000-15000k bulbs of most manufacturers... I will however search more looking for true specs on a 15000k cv bulb, just so we're doing apples and apples.

EDIT: I found a 250w mogul 15kk cv bulb.. it has ppfd of 74.9 from an M80 ballast. I'll keep looking for a DE 15kk bulb, if it exists.

Invigor
09-05-2005, 07:27 PM
I think Phoenix brand light bulbs have mastered high output at 12000-15000k range, as well as helios...just one of the downsides to "middle of the line" mid-range bulbs; it's hard to find a high output bulb with the blue most people look for

Ruth
09-05-2005, 07:29 PM
My bulbs are 400W. Right now I have 2 Geisemann bulbs and one Coralvue bulb (to be replaced as soon as my order gets here next week). The Coralvue is in the middle.
And thanks so much for the info. I was pretty sure it was the bulbs but as I also brought my calcium reactor online in the last month and I have never used a reactor before could not be sure.

Ruth

Invigor
09-05-2005, 07:32 PM
My bulbs are 400W. Right now I have 2 Geisemann bulbs and one Coralvue bulb (to be replaced as soon as my order gets here next week). The Coralvue is in the middle.
And thanks so much for the info. I was pretty sure it was the bulbs but as I also brought my calcium reactor online in the last month and I have never used a reactor before could not be sure.

Ruth

what made you decide to get giesemann bulbs? did you have the chance to see them in action before you bought them? A friend of mine has the 150w double ended 13kk bulbs, and they're pretty breathtaking. Glad to hear someone else gets to enjoy their beauty. :D

Ruth
09-05-2005, 07:48 PM
No I did not get the chance to see them in action (check out where I live). My 2 bulbs were getting close to the 8 month mark and really I just wanted to try something new and decided to give it a go. My reasoning being that most - and I say most - German products that I have tried out have been very high end quality stuff - it is why I am going with the Bubble King skimmer and the Grotech calcium reactor for my new tank. I definately notice more yellow in these bulbs but my livestock is reacting well - particularly my clams which are open more than I have ever seen them.

Beverly
09-05-2005, 11:05 PM
What's your magnesium level at?

Ruth
09-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Magnesium is as 1350 according to my salifert test that I did yesterday.

Beverly
09-06-2005, 12:22 AM
IME, that's a good amount of Mg to keep up coralline growth :smile:

Ruth
09-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Well that's the thing. I had coraline growing all over my tank walls and internal equipment in addition to my live rock. I had to scrape it off my viewing area almost daily. Now I have barely any on my walls or equipment - it has all turned green or just fallen off. The green is hard to scrape off but not like coraline. My rocks are still fine and covered in it.
Hopefully it will start again and if I could ever get it trained to only grow on the back wall and overflows I would have it made!

Chin_Lee
09-06-2005, 03:45 AM
Ruth
if you find out exactly how to stop the coralline growth, let me know. :biggrin: I hate scraping off that stuff on a daily basis and your problem would be a good thing for a lot of people assuming your other corals will still grow.

Ruth
09-06-2005, 03:54 AM
Oh Chin I know. I hated scraping it off as well particularly right in the front centre as I would just about have to go swimming to try and reach it. Then my carpet anemone took up residence there so trying to scrape around him was impossible because he would stick to you - so I just left it. The only thing is that my back and side walls are now all green and it's ugly - even with an algea pad or a razor blade it is hard to get off and there is no way I can reach the back wall because of my rockwork and not enough access behind the tank. If it would just stay on my rocks and off my walls I would be soooooo happy.

christyf5
09-06-2005, 04:09 AM
It will probably come back. Most likely there will be a population shift due to the lighting/intensity change. You may find that while your purple coralline isn't doing so hot, some other color may do better?? (for example). Give it some time and see how it goes, it might just need to get used to the change :biggrin:

Christy :)