PDA

View Full Version : Overflow

DJ88
02-04-2002, 11:55 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/DIY/overflow.jpg

All that needs ot be done is cut the slots in the top of a flat sheet that is 11wide by 17high then bend it in the center. That enough?

Ok Change the length from 11.5 to 12 inches titus. I'll get the acrylic some time this week

[ 05 February 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]</p>

fishboy
02-05-2002, 01:12 AM
make sure you don't under estimate on the amount of acrylic you will need to go around the 1 1/2" bulkhead fitting. My sheet was 12" x 20" and after I bent it I could have used 13" x 20" images/smiles/icon_eek.gif .

Jack
02-05-2002, 02:42 AM
why dont you use a strait, one peice, 45° overflow. Like this: / in the corner of your tank. It looks much better and is less noticable

DJ88
02-05-2002, 10:41 AM
With a straight piece not as much water will be able to flow over the teeth in the overflow. I am planning on making this a very high flow tank. My turnover rate will be about 25x's. I am estimating(and hoping for) 1200GPH for the MAG18 return pump. It will probably be less, but still I need all the flow through that overflow I can get.

I will say the angled overflow would look sweet. More area in the tank.

I stand corrected Jack.. I just remeasured it. Hmm

Titus I'll keep you posted.. I may not need a bend in it after all. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Jsut the slots. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[ 05 February 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]</p>

titus
02-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Hello,

You can tell me when you see me.

Jack
02-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Hey darren, It looks much better with one striaght piece. There is guy in Campbell river that has over 1000 gallons of salt water reef tanks in his garage, all his tanks used this angled overlow, even on his 500 gal reef. They are hardly noticable actually, they almost set into the background, and it does give you more room. I just thougth it was worth mentioning to you as an overflow is something you are not likely or able to change in the future. It is possible to make more slots or bigger slots, is it not? Let me know what you think.

Canadian
02-06-2002, 08:52 PM
The biggest problem with an angled overflow box coupled with a Durso stand pipe is that for the overflow to leave sufficient room for all of the PVC fittings (and room to get your hand in there) you end up angling off a fairly large amount of space. And in Darren's case, with a 24" cube tank, an angled overflow box would actually end up with the overflow box being really far forward in the tank.

Canadian
02-06-2002, 08:54 PM
But yes an angled overflow does look nicer than a square one in a larger tank. I also think that Darren should use gray acrylic rather than black for the overflow box -- it'll blend in a little better and really make it look like an authentic Japanese style reef tank.