PDA

View Full Version : Eel antics

albert_dao
09-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Okay, so I just picked up a tiny (pen sized, around 5"!!) chestnut moray and tossed it in with my melatremus. The instant buddy hits the water, the melatremus swims out to investigate; swims RIGHT out into the open water. He NEVER comes out. As soon as his nose touches the chestnut, he goes buck wild and tries to fly out of the tank (which I have thoughtfully left a bit drained). Keep in mind the melatremus, while no monster himself at 7" and the thickness of a sharpie marker, is still roughly three times the mass of the chestnut.

So anyway, the chestnut sinks to the bottom, sulks for a couple seconds then runs off into one of the pvc pipes. Half an hour later, he's got his head sticking out and is doing the menacing eel thing (those of you who have morays will know what I'm talkiing about here). Meanwhile, the melatremus is STILL going wild.

At this point, I was getting pretty worried since both eels costed me a fair bit and are kind of hard to come by so I took out the viper and tossed him into a holding tank. Instant calm for the melatremus.

Anyway, two hours later, I noticed the viper was looking pretty miserable in the holding tank so I threw him back in with the melatremus, oddly enough, and all is well.

Right now (2:30 am and 7 hours after the last event) both eels are sitting in the same pvc pipe, both doing their eel thing side by side.

Weird eh?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-01-2005, 08:36 AM
You know we're gonna need pics now, don' t you :biggrin:

albert_dao
09-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I was gonna get on top of that, but I am having a devil of a time focusing.

Hey Anthony, you have MSN?

digitalsteve
09-01-2005, 08:47 AM
thats sweet... i love it when the morays do that mouth thing trying to look tough... my snowflake it crazy .. he will do the eel thing and then shake his head back and forth violently every now and again.. its pretty bad ass

Delphinus
09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Man I sure would love to see that eel setup someday Albert. I've always wanted one of those melatremus too. Glad to hear all is well with yours!

Post whatever pics you can, man. Don't worry if they're a little out of focus...

kellehar
09-01-2005, 06:04 PM
yeah my snowflake gives me quite a few laughs when she goes exploreing and wanders to close to the maroons anemone.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Yup, I'm on MSN Albert. Just added you on my contact list (ok?). :biggrin:

OCDP
09-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Glad to hear everything is good now... cool story.

Ahem..... pictures???? haha jk jk , but if you get a chance.. I (and im sure the rest of us) would love to see your new addition.

albert_dao
09-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Alright guys, here's the best I could do.

Melatremus:

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/Salt/Fish/GymnothoraxMelatremus.jpg

Chestnut:

http://www.cichlids.ca/images/gallery/Salt/Fish/ChestnutMoray.jpg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Awwww. Cuties :biggrin: