PDA

View Full Version : Regulator question

Aquattro
02-02-2002, 05:33 AM
Is there supposed to be a gasket othr than the nylon bushing between the tank valve and the CO2 reg? I can't get mine to seal. Also, I can't get it to go below 35 PSI.....any suggestions??

ldzielak
02-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Nope that gasket is all they are supposed to use. Is it a new one?

titus
02-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Hello,

Make sure you use Teflon tape. Most regulators do not use rubberized gasket. Instead the slippery hard white nylon stuff.

titus
02-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the heads up. Although I think the teflon tape will just fill up the gaps in between the threads. Of course if the teflon washer doesn't do its job then the teflon tape won't do much either. And in that case, it's outrageously dangerous to just rely on teflon tape to do the trick. But I think having the teflon tape there won't cause it to be any more dangerous. Or would it?

pocilipora
02-02-2002, 06:35 PM
Teflon tape is not Co2 safe it will break down in a short period of time. I learned this in welding school. You need the proper white washer avaliable at any welding supply store.( Air Liquid, mainland welding,etc)

reefburnaby
02-02-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi,

Are you using a proper wrench to tighten the pressure fitting ? I hope you didn't just tighten it with just your fingers.

There is suppose to be a gasket between the two mating surfaces. Try flipping the gasket around and see if it works better.

Don't use teflon on CO2.

In any case, if you can get it to work then bring it to Liquid Air, any compressed air supply store or welding supply store. They can help you figure out the problem.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

[ 02 February 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]</p>

Aquattro
02-03-2002, 03:33 AM
Thanks everyone! The regulator does have the nylon washer there, but it doesn't do anything. I'd have to use a whole roll of teflon tape to seal that sucker. I did use a wrench to tighten it ( a lot) and still the gas blasts out of the joint. I had to go outside after trying it a few times for some fresh air. images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
I guess I'll take the tank and reg to Liquid Air and have them look at it. See where it goes from there.
Again, thanks!

StirCrazy
02-03-2002, 04:26 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Titus:
Hello,

Make sure you use Teflon tape. Most regulators do not use rubberized gasket. Instead the slippery hard white nylon stuff.<hr></blockquote>

Titus that slippery hard white nylon stuff (teflon) is all the regulator should need to seal. if you are using teflon tape on the threads there is something wrong with either the regulator or the mating surface on the tank, or you are using the wrong regulator for CO2. I work with High pressurre regulators all the time and if they wont seal we replace the "teflon" washer and if that still doesent work we throw it in the garbage and buy a new regulator (or bottle) you can mickey mouse it but using tefloon tape to seal the threads when the mating surfaces should do all the sealing is well what I would concider almost dangerous concidering how much pressure there is and that the threads were never ment to seal in the first place.

Steve

titus
02-03-2002, 12:25 PM
Hello,

Thanks guys for giving me the lesson on teflon tape with CO2. Never knew that.

ldzielak
02-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Teflon tape is a lubricant not a sealant. This is use to lubricate the treads so you can get them on with gauling. I work with stainless all the time and you cannot forget the tape. There are also different types of tape too, liquid and regular. Just ask when/where you get the tank filled.

CO2 is used in every softdrink dispenser.

Aquattro
02-03-2002, 05:23 PM
Thaks all for lots of good advice. Seems the problem was I needed a bigger wrench and some wheaties to tighten it.
My reactor is now online and I can throw the kalk to the wind!!!

titus
02-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure about throwing the kalk to the wind part. Due to the wind in Victoria, the neighbours may find their house covered with a high pH material when the rain comes.

Aquattro
02-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Titus, if you knew my kids, the kalk on the houses is the least of the neighbours' worries!!! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif