PDA

View Full Version : reflectors and positioning

christyf5
09-01-2005, 01:20 AM
I'm looking at getting new reflectors because mine are.... well they aren't getting any crustier than they were to begin with but I bought them sight unseen and didn't get what I paid for. In any case, I've decided that its time to get something that reflects the light a bit better than what looks like crappy oxidized aluminum.

So I'm looking at these nice shiny reflectors:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/lightparts.php?product_ID=pfo-prf12

and it says they are to be mounted perpendicular to your tank. Why is that? They certainly look shinier and better designed than these ones:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/lightparts.php?product_ID=pfo-prf15

that can be mounted parallel to your tank.

I want the shinier ones! Unless of course someone provides me with information that would stop me from buying them :razz:

Christy :)

martym
09-01-2005, 01:29 AM
i believe the first ones are more for spot lights. I believe thats what I was told when i was buying mine.

mr_alberta
09-01-2005, 01:31 AM
The PFO parallel reflectors are actually supposedly one of the best reflectors out there (aside from the Diamond Lumenarc reflectors which are the top of the heap).

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/feature.htm
There is a nice comparison of reflectors for you to check out if you wish.

Johnny Reefer
09-01-2005, 01:32 AM
Maybe I'm not readin' it right, but mountin' them perp makes sense to me.
They have said to mount them perp to the front of the aquarium.
I assume they mean the front glass.

What doesn't make sense to me, is why the other type are to be mounted parallel to the front. :confused:

Anyhoo, cheers,

christyf5
09-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Hey cool article.:cool: I should have known AA would have something like this :wink: Thanks!

BCWolfen
09-01-2005, 04:00 AM
Christy, I have the 48" parallel one for my 90 and I have 2 bulbs in it. Its plenty bright. :) Stop by to check it out if you can't remember what its like.

Aquattro
09-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Christy, I have 2 of those on mine running parallel, nothing has died yet. Plus when I open the canopy, the reflectors shield the light a bit.

christyf5
09-01-2005, 04:19 AM
Christy, I have 2 of those on mine running parallel, nothing has died yet.

Smart a$$ :razz:

two of the parallel ones or two of the perpendicular ones? :wink:

Aquattro
09-01-2005, 05:12 AM
two of the parallel ones or two of the perpendicular ones? :wink:

The perpendicular ones....

Renegade
09-01-2005, 05:39 AM
Hey i just bought lighting for my new tank and i was recomended the perpendicular ones and i mounted them paralle. I ask some of the guys from JL's and the best they could give me was that they were designed to run "perpendicular" so whatever i mounted them paralle. I figured it be better for the air flow for my canapy fan to cool better. Whatever i don't think it matter that much. And if i'm wrong w/e its good thing i bought the expensive lights lol

Kyle

Johnny Reefer
09-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Is it just me? :confused:
Am I the only one not quite gettin' it? :confused:
What's the deal with J & L (I assume it's them and not the manufacturer, as no manufacturer name was provided) sayin' that this reflector gets mounted this way and that reflector gets mounted that way?
I read most of the AA article newguy provided. Pretty heavy stuff. I didn't get all of it, but I didn't see in there anything about mounting reflectors perpendicular this and parallel that.
It's not how you mount it, but the design of the reflector itself, right?
In this case, either a parallel reflector or a perpendicular one.
Both get mounted the same way, no?
That being the reflector facing down, toward the water surface, no?
And your light rays will be either of the parallel reflected type or the perpendicular reflected type, depending on which type of reflector you have, correct?
:confused:
No....? :confused:

Cheers,

Aquattro
09-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Mark, PFO recommends that these reflectors are mounted perpendicular to the tank.

Johnny Reefer
09-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Mark, PFO recommends that these reflectors are mounted perpendicular to the tank.

That's bizarre.
I just can't get my head around that.
This is one of those things I'd have to see to get.:redface:

Cheers,

Aquattro
09-01-2005, 06:47 AM
ya, I'm not sure either, and I've done them both ways and I can't see any difference.

Samw
09-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Old PFO Website from 2003:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030422170911/www.pfolighting.com/new+pfoAq/Retrofit+Items.htm

"OPTIMAL REFLECTOR(Reeflector): This reflector is designed to mount perpendicular to the front of the tank. It is made with 95% reflective aluminum and will put about 40% more light into the tank than a standard flat sheet of reflective metal. "

"PARALLEL REFLECTOR : The parallel reflector is designed to mount parallel with the front of the tank using fluorescents. It is made with 95% reflective aluminum and will put about 25% more light into the tank than a standard flat sheet of reflective metal. "

Light Distribution for Optimal reflector:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/images/mar2003/fig10-pfo-perpendicular-top.gif

Light Distribution for Parallel reflector:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/images/mar2003/fig8-pfo-parallel-top.gif

Under the optimal reflector at 6"-9", the area with the brightest light is greater along the X axis.

Under the parallel reflector at 6"-9", the area with the brightest light is greater along the Y axis.

Thus, at 6"-9", it is better to mount Optimal reflectors perpendicular to the tank and Parallel reflectors parallel to the tank.

At 12", it looks like both should be mounted parallel.

reeferaddict
09-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Christy...

Did you look at mine closely? Old flourescent fixtures, tin snips. rivet gun & drill, and a few hours and mine is mirrored, parabolic, cooled, mounted and wired... I have a 3 foot chunk you are welcome to if you want to try it... anybody with a light meter? I would like to know what I'm getting...

christyf5
09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Christy...

Did you look at mine closely? Old flourescent fixtures, tin snips. rivet gun & drill, and a few hours and mine is mirrored, parabolic, cooled, mounted and wired... I have a 3 foot chunk you are welcome to if you want to try it... anybody with a light meter? I would like to know what I'm getting...

Jim, I already have what looks like DIY even though they probably aren't. Besides, I am mostly DIY challenged and quite frankly for $35 I'd rather just buy the damned things :wink:

I measured the reflectors I have now and it looks like the perpendicular ones are the only ones that would fit anyways :rolleyes: