PDA

View Full Version : Vic Trip

BCWolfen
08-31-2005, 04:29 AM
Hey Victoria Reefers,

Wife and I are doing a trip down on the 6th to drop a friend at the airport.
What are the 2 good fishy stores again? and addys if someone knows them.
Also does anyone have any frags they are looking to part with?
Please let me know.

Thanks

reeferaddict
08-31-2005, 05:45 AM
Stores -

Duncan -

Island Pet Zone - Beverly St. behind McDonald's - Scott is the owner and there every day except Sunday - good selection of dry goods & some of the cheapest dry good prices on the Island. Reef section is limited but growing. Scott is one of the few LFS that is actively looking to trade frags - therefore he usually has some tank raised stuff for sale. Get there before I do though..... :mrgreen:

VICTORIA -

Safari Pets & Aquatics - Blanshard and Coverdale - same mall as Future Shop. Japarto is the reef guy there, keeps some very interesting animals and has a good selection of fish. You can buy almost anything you want there in the way of gadgets for your reef. Prices are a little higher, but service and quality is good, with a decent variety of hard & soft corals - Japarto seems to be the most respected of the LFS reef guys.

Hillside Tropicals - Hillside and Cedar Hill X-Road - Cora is the owner and she seems to have Don Cherry's disposition - some people love her, others can't stand her. Cora will not be responsible for people's ignorance - be forewarned. Whereas Scott or Japarto will ask about your system and what you have... Cora will sell you anything to fill it without asking. Personally I think we should all do our own researching and not rely on those that stand to profit from our lack of knowledge, so I don't have a problem with Cora. I have gotten a couple of gorgeous HEALTHY clams there for prices comparable to Vancouver. Cora keeps quite a variety of fish, corals, and inverts, as well as dry goods and gadgets - prices are high like Safari, but again, good quality and service.

I've never been to "Creatures"... maybe someone else could fill in the blank for that... ?

I'll PM you my # Gerald... let me know when you'll be by and I'll be happy to show my humble wares to you...

Jim.

Johnny Reefer
08-31-2005, 06:03 AM
What's an "addy"?

Cheers,

muck
08-31-2005, 06:19 AM
What's an "addy"?

Cheers,
Address

Chaloupa
08-31-2005, 06:25 AM
Been to all the shops.....Safari and Japarto are excellent! Have bought lots from Cora at Hillside too and it all lived.....
Creatures on the other hand...I don't think I have ever been treated so poorly nor have I seen a shop with such potential look so bad...great selection but the question is "If I do buy from here will it actually live?" don't waste your time and money there...
I wasn't overly impressed with Island Pet Zone...Scott is nice but his staff is a bit on the "lacking" side on knowing...ANYTHING....and if he is not there...you may not get to buy anything as they don't know the prices half the time or know anything about the fish.
Safari and Hillside have my votes!

Johnny Reefer
08-31-2005, 06:28 AM
What's an "addy"?

Cheers,
Address

Of course. :redface: . How stupid of me.

Cheers,

Johnny Reefer
08-31-2005, 06:35 AM
Creatures on the other hand...I don't think I have ever been treated so poorly....

I agree. They have an attitude there. Kinda like they think there *&$@%#^ doesn't smell. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

BCWolfen
08-31-2005, 06:38 AM
I've been to Island Pet zone numerous times and been happy with my purchases. It helped that I went down with knowledge as there is not much there. But prices and selction were nice.

It was Hillside and Safari that I was looking address' of as I've heard lots about them. Will be nice to check them out and maybe pick someting up for the tank.

Chaloupa
08-31-2005, 06:44 AM
"MAYBE" pick something up...oh goodness the self control...holy! I am in C.R. and I go to Victoria and spend several hours fish shopping, and have a blast always coming home with something nice for my tanks!!!!! Have fun and let us know what you end up with! (if you don't mind!?) hee hee

reeferaddict
08-31-2005, 07:05 AM
VENI, VIDI, VISA!

Johnny Reefer
08-31-2005, 07:21 AM
VENI, VIDI, VISA!

Stupid question #2...
What?

Cheers,

Johnny Reefer
08-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Ohhh, I get it now. (Did a Google search). Hahaha :lol:

Cheers,

BCWolfen
09-06-2005, 04:02 AM
Aight guys, I'll be in Vic around 1pm, have a short business meeting to go to and then gonna shop some stores. Anyone have any frags they are looking to sell? I'm also looking for some more macro algae for my fuge. :)

LMK

Thanks

Kabong
09-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Creatures on the other hand...I don't think I have ever been treated so poorly....

I agree. They have an attitude there. Kinda like they think there *&$@%#^ doesn't smell. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ill third that,

But they do have a good selection of things ive never seen on the island.
If you feel confident with your own knowledge. i wouldnt worry about there lame staff.

BCWolfen
09-07-2005, 08:00 AM
So the trip went great. I stopped at Hillside first and had a pleasent chat with Cora. She was very friendly and helpful. I liked the big tub of live rock in the back that you could rummage through. LOL Pricing was as I expected, not Vancouver prices but very decent. I bought some liquid reactor, calcium, a new calcium test kit and another cleaner shrimp. I did like that Cora put a small piece of macro algae in the bag with the cleaner so he would stress less. That was a nice touch.

My next stop was Safari. Unfortunately this was very disappointing. When we first walked through the door, two male staff members were at the front counter. Neither said hi or acknowledged us so I said hi to them. I got a hi back and that was it. No "can I help" "anthing we can do for you" Owning a retail store myself this immediately set my hackles up. So I proceeded to walk amongst the dry goods. Shelves were bare (understandable after a lond weekend) and there was little selection. I was glad I had picked up my additives at Hillside. I looked through the Saltwater section, but it was also pretty empty, which was a shame as I was really looking for some fish or corals. I did see a little mandarin that I wanted but still no one had come to offer assistance. One gentleman started to siphon a tank right beside me and still said nothing. We took another quick tour around and checked out some of the doggy and kitty stuff and then left. 3 staff members, we were the only 2 customers for 15-20minutes and no one said a word. I will go back again to give them another chance but I was quite disappointed considering what I had read about them.

I had considered not going to creatures at all(again due to what I had read), but having some extra time we thought we'd go. Since I had not decided I didn't have their info. Luckily I had Islandreefers # with me so wifey gave him a call and he gave us their number (THANKS JOHN!!) We called and a very pleasent yound lady told us we about 2 buildings away. LOL The same (I assume) friendly young lady greeted us as we walked through the door, even though she was serving 3 people at the till. Immediate 2 thumbs up. We browsed around the dry goods (plenty of stock, looked good) and then headed into the fish room. One fellow was cleaning a large empty tank near the back. (I found out later this was his coral tank that had cracked a few days ago) We got about half way around the 1st wall when he climbed out of his job and asked if we needed any help. After about 20 minutes of answering questions and pointing things out I ended up with my mandarin goby, a pink/purple tube worm, and a nice blue sea squirt (I really liked the color lol) He was quite friendly and offered lots of suggestions and advice. I will definately be returning here. Their stock was good (also a bit low but still plenty there) and looked very healthy.

So there ya have it. Hopefulyl tomorrow I will get some pics of the new critters and post em up.

Johnny Reefer
09-07-2005, 03:35 PM
My next stop was Safari. Unfortunately this was very disappointing. When we first walked through the door, two male staff members were at the front counter. Neither said hi or acknowledged us so I said hi to them. I got a hi back and that was it. No "can I help" "anthing we can do for you" Owning a retail store myself this immediately set my hackles up.

:eek: Egad! You didn't like Safari Pets? That's a first.
That's one of the nice things about Safari Pets. Low pressure. Personally, I hate it when sales people jump all over me the minute I walk in a store. But that's just me.
Also...they are usually soooo busy in there, (with customers), that any time they get a slow spell is the only time they have a chance to tend to maintenance and shelf stocking. This could also be another reason for their reluctance to offer assistance. They have lots to do! (They are understaffed).

Shelves were bare (understandable after a lond weekend) and there was little selection.

Really? Bare?

I looked through the Saltwater section, but it was also pretty empty, which was a shame as I was really looking for some fish or corals.

Really? Empty? Are you sure? Everytime I go in there they have adequate livestock. Victoria may be bigger than Nanaimo, but it's no Vancouver.

I did see a little mandarin that I wanted but still no one had come to offer assistance. One gentleman started to siphon a tank right beside me and still said nothing.

Did you bother to ask? You say they didn't talk to you, but it sounds like you didn't talk to them either.

I'm sorry you were dissappointed. I still stand by Safari Pets as the best LFS in Victoria.
I happen to be going there today. I will discuss your concerns with the manager on your behalf. Happy to do it. :smile:
Hopefully, you will have a better experience next time.
Did I mention they are understaffed?
It's crazy in there when they are busy.

Cheers,

Johnny Reefer
09-07-2005, 05:47 PM
After thinking on it some more.....

Re: the dry goods selection. They have alot of dry goods behind the front counter and also inside the front counter display cases. There are also filter parts; light bulbs; heaters; books etc. along a wall to the right of, and perpendicular to, the front counter. Look up, too. They have alot of stuff stored up to the ceiling.

For the benefit of anyone that hasn't been to the store yet....staff are easily identified. They all wear black Safari Pets "golf" shirts.

Re: The greeting, or lack thereof....Ya. If the two behind the counter were not engaged in anything else at the time, then ya, I agree that at least a hello would have been nice.

Also....I guess one downside to expressing how good, (IMO), Safari Pets is, is that people's expectations can be inflated before they go there and see for themselves. Just to repeat again...Victoria is no Vancouver.

And finally, the advice, IMO, cant' be beat.
If it weren't for Japarto, I have no doubt that I would be strugglin', big time, with my 7 month old reef set up. As it is, things have run so smoothly that I have to frequently remind myself that I am still a reef newbie and still have alot to learn.

Cheers, :smile:

Kabong
09-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Japarto aside I'd have to agree with Gerald.
Safari's staff does lack in the coustmer service department.
I can probably even guess the exact two guys who were standing around.

Johnny Reefer
09-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Japarto aside I'd have to agree with Gerald.
Safari's staff does lack in the coustmer service department.
I can probably even guess the exact two guys who were standing around.

I can think of one.
Anyway. Goin' there now. See ya!
:smile:

Johnny Reefer
09-08-2005, 02:13 AM
The owner, the shopkeeper, Jaws (nice to meet you), and I talked at length for over an hour.
All I can say is... not only am I convinced that Safari is the best LFS in Victoria, and probably the whole Island, but I am confident that they will begin to pull away from the field in the months to come.
The people in charge there are very much interested in providing for the Vancouver Island reefing community and wish to be the place for Vancouver Island reefers to go to.
They're workin' on it.

Cheers, :smile:

BCWolfen
09-08-2005, 03:54 AM
:eek: Egad! You didn't like Safari Pets? That's a first.
That's one of the nice things about Safari Pets. Low pressure. Personally, I hate it when sales people jump all over me the minute I walk in a store. But that's just me.
Also...they are usually soooo busy in there, (with customers), that any time they get a slow spell is the only time they have a chance to tend to maintenance and shelf stocking. This could also be another reason for their reluctance to offer assistance. They have lots to do! (They are understaffed).
Did you bother to ask? You say they didn't talk to you, but it sounds like you didn't talk to them either.

I'm sorry you were dissappointed. I still stand by Safari Pets as the best LFS in Victoria.
I happen to be going there today. I will discuss your concerns with the manager on your behalf. Happy to do it. :smile:
Hopefully, you will have a better experience next time.
Did I mention they are understaffed?
It's crazy in there when they are busy.

Cheers,

I didn't say I didn't like it. The store was very nice and I'm sure were I to go on a day thats not after a long weekend there would be much more stock (I'm completely out of hard drives and motherboards at my shop till tomorrow myself so I know what a long weekend can do) I was just a little disappointed after hearing so much good. I will defiantely go back next time I am in Victoria for another look.

Your right I did not ask for help, but thats just my stubborn side coming out. I also hate pushy sales staff but I expect to greeted with a hello and at least a "If I can be of any help just give me a shout, my names Fred" or something. If I don't get that I tend to walk the Isles as if I'm looking for something to see if I ever get noticed LOL. But its all good. I'll be back and I'm sure it will be a different experience.

Arise_Osiris
09-08-2005, 04:08 AM
First of all...BCWolfen....
If you own a retail store, I'm surprised because you obviously don't know a whole lot about sales. Questions like "Can I help?" or "Anything we can do for you?" often lead to closed ended responses thus terminating your sales pitch. They usually teach you this on your first day in retail. Keep in mind that there are probably hundreds of people that wander through a shop like Safari on a daily basis, who are just looking at fish or other pets. Also you should consider that people that make minimum wage in a very busy store cannot be expected to be enthusiastic about it at all times. If you are truly the "Retail Master" you claim to be , you should understand. It also strikes me as strange that you were so timid that you could not approch the staff on your own. I would also advise you, should you have the courage to return to Safari, to open your eyes and realize that Safari is not just a Reef store. It also happen to be the most respected reptile shop west of Edmonton, some say west of Toronto. The cost, maintenance, level of knowlege and experience required to keep some of the stuff there, dwarfes the reef hobby. Ever consider that the two guys who were "standing around" could have been taking a quick breather after a massive rush in sales or maybe from hauling in a hundred buckets of sea salt or maybe just from cleaning a mountain of rabbit and rat crap.
As to the rest of you...
So quick to judge...are you so wise? What you see as standing around, perhaps it's theft prevention, after all reef supplies do tend to be very expensive. I can only guess that while Japarto is holding your hands, guiding you through YOUR hobby, his store is getting shoplifted blind. Speaking of blindness, realize that there is much more happening in the world that what is immediatly in front of your eyes and realize that Safari PETS is more than just a reef tank.

Delphinus
09-08-2005, 04:29 AM
I love vendor rating type posts. By "love", of course, I mean, "don't love."

I'm officially calling this thread "on simmer." I.e., it's a little warm in here. If it gets anymore heated or if I see any other kind of personal attack, the thread will be closed, and warnings issued.

Please be nice. Thanks

Angie
09-08-2005, 04:31 AM
A few friends of mine are big on Aquatic stuff, and told me about this posting. They were pretty upset about it, and so am I. I found your posting to be extremely ignorant. The shelves are NOT almost bare- you did little more than whine about things that aren't even true to begin with!
I am a frequent customer at Safari and thus am quite familiar with both the store as well as the staff. I have always felt comfortable shopping there, and have never been treated the way that you described. Since you were VISITING from Nanaimo you probably don't know that they are almost ALWAYS insanely busy, and are severely under-staffed as well. I find it hard to believe that you have your own store, but have difficulty aprroaching people in another?! Did you ever think that maybe you and your wife may have walked in after a busy period, and the staff were trying to catch their breath? Or maybe they were watching to prevent theft? You would think, working in retail and all, that these possible factors would have crossed your mind.
I personally despise being jumped on as soon as i walk into a store- in fact, it makes me want to leave. If i need help with something, i will ask. That is what most grown adults would do. Next time i am in Nanaimo, i will come visit your store and we will see how it fares compared to Safari....don't forget, there is a reason that Safari Pets And Aquatics is considered to be the best Pet stores on the Island- because of the staff, and their collective and extensive knowledge. A business is only as successful as the people who run it. You claim to be an expert, but you might want to take some notes.

Aquattro
09-08-2005, 04:33 AM
OK, enough. thread locked, insults removed.